Mechanised Flail / hedgecutting cost- how do you charge

Jamie edwards

Hi guys. 

I have a job to pice for hedge flail/ trimming -it's not my usual bag but no one else wants it and I I do this I get the tree work, too. 

Ive never priced this sort of work before and it's a 5 year contract, so really don't want to F it up. 

I assume I should be pricing by the linear meter? if so, what's everyone charging? or how are you pricing, if its per hour, what sort of meterage are you getting done in an hour?

With a tractor it would normally be per hour. You can't really charge per meter because it depends on how many swipes, how thick the hedge is and obstacles like telegraph poles.

I would probably want £60 but there's a lot of contractors and people with older machines doing it for much less to keep getting work in the autumn.

• Like 1

I've been paying £40 an hour cash for the last few years, but I've always tidied up the road afterwards.

The main factor is red or white fuel, say 10-15 litres an hour + £40.

I don't think I'd question £50-60 an hour.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

I should probably add that we don't look for work hedge trimming, just do odd bits so it'd easy for me to say £60 is just what I think it should be for a decent sized machine based on costs - £10-15 depreciation on the tractor, £10 fuel, £2 insurance, £5 repairs, £2 tyres, £15 driver, £10+ for the hedge trimmer off the top of my head.

Edited by gdh
  • Like 1

the NAAC rates schedule puts it at £47.95 plus vat per hour. you’ll usually find there will be a minimum charge of 2 hours at least and it really depends wether they are putting the hedge cutter on especially as a lot of guys like to put it on and all the flail work whilst it’s on as they can be a bit of a fag to put on and take off 

• Like 1

Thank you, Everyone. 

So the idea is using a Sa800 and Slanetrac 180 OR a flail mounted to a 7 series avant. 
this would be operated by one of my team. 

I was thinking around the £55 an hour mark but with clean up as it's been unmanaged for years, the first year is going to take longer/ more staff.  
Some of it is 4m tall now and needs to come down to 1.8m, We would have to clear that waste away as its public space so flailing all that down would be too risky. I was thinking with the extra labour and Equiptment +clearing, £200 an hour - 2 Avants and 3 staff (two operators) including chipping and disposal. 

Once its down, a yearly flail would suffice. @ £55 ph

Tractor would be the best option, larger tyres so much lower ground pressure and compaction.

Not saying your idea won't work, but a decent 100-150hp 4 cylinder tractor cab with creature comforts and they can work almost regardless of the weather.

Regarding reduction, might be best renting a guy with a saw hedge cutter and forestry flail in situ.

• Like 2