Northern tool chainsaws?

Riclang

Hi everyone,  my first post here although I've read a lot of useful info from the community over a few years. I used to cut a lot of firewood about 5 years ago but moved to a home without a wood stove so sold my chainsaws, 272xp, 346xp, rancher 50. I've now got the pleasure of a wood stove again in another new place!

Intending getting another 346xp or similar when I can afford it but I keep an eye on the local ads for anything cheap to do me in the meantime.

Soo.... I saw this for sale but can't find any info on it at all...

Appears to be a 'Northern tool 51220E' saw.

It looks brand new, seller said used maybe 6x, and it's 80 quid.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand or saw? Is it a rebadged something I've heard of or is it a cheap something that will break and be impossible to get spares for?

Thanks in advance for any help with this,

Ric

Screenshot_20230801-154158.jpg

Screenshot_20230801-154139.jpg

Will be similar to all the other cheap chinese chainsaws you can get online

WWW.PARKERBRAND.CO.UK

A high-powered 58cc 20” Petrol Chainsaw that is low on price and high on performance, our Parker chainsaw was designed to tackle more challenging jobs and thus features a proven air...

If its a Chinese made thing I wouldn't even consider it, I know how bad they are.

The only thing I can get online is the Northern tool brand is based in Milwaukee USA but their website is blocked from the UK.

They make chain sharpners and other small engine stuff but no mention of chainsaws.

This is why I wondered if it is rebadged.

They have a shop on Ebay uk but again,  no chainsaws.

I will message them there but I was interested to see if anyone knew anything here.

Probably a Chinese made saw with their sticker on it tho.

If you're intent is to start cheap, Aldi and Lidl are cheerful and you can atleast take it back within 2 years.

I'd even prefer a Screwfix or Toolstation special to a unobtainable brand with zero backup.

Maybe post a budget and everyone can post recommendations, but like most things buy once cry once.

I'd rather go 2nd hand for something that is known to work, which is why I stuck with older pro saws in the past.

It's easy enough to tell when u see most of them if they've really been beaten within an Inch of their lives. 

My budget is non existent right now as I've just moved house and had to buy everything inside more or less all at once. However there is a fair bit of previously felled Ash and elm from some time ago 2 mins from my door and it's sitting there mocking me 😅

I'll pass on the Northern tools job I think as I've just seen a Jonsered for sale even closer and still cheap.

Was running when last used, think it's one of the original ones. 

I'd appreciate everyone's views on that saw too but unsure whether to stick it in here or start a new thread?

Yeah I hear ya, always maintained my own saws myself, but only Huskys.

No idea of the problems associated with old Jonsereds or difficulties getting parts.

It's listed as a Jonsereds 64 and looks well used and looks a vintage saw.

I like vintage saws but don't want to collect big ol doorstops, been there.

Interested know if worth checking out,  and maybe known problems, or avoid.

It would become a backup saw at any rate as soon as I get something else. I'm not really in a hurry but got the itch to get going again with all those felled trees just waiting.

Anyway here's the saw, pictures not great

Screenshot_20230801-183009.jpg

Screenshot_20230801-183027.jpg

Steer well clear, I had one and as you fixed one bit, another part failed....they are turd! It was one of three and sold the lot for £45 on ebay..utter crap saws.

You are far better getting a MS181 or Husky 135 or that type of model or if you are lucky, a Stihl 026 in serviceable condition. At least, with those machines, you can get spares for them and even if they have aftermarket parts on them, you can swap them out for decent OEM parts plus you may get lucky with a decent one. 

Typical decent machines Husky - 345, 350, 346, 254, 135 etc

Stihl - 023, 024, 026 (and MS equivalents) 

You may get lucky on a decent Dolmar, Echo or Makita as the general public don't know the brands but they are at least decent developed & manufactured machine.

That looks like a Jonsered 625 or 630 to me. The 630 is the better machine being closed port rather than open port.

Parts may be difficult especially for the chain brake BUT, if it has good compression, idles, revs out, oils and the chain break works.....they are decent solid machines and will last if looked after. 60cc, relatively heavy but solid.

• Like 1