Are my white pines too far gone?

wsly_odom

Question

New homeowner overhauling our back yard. Aspiring hobby arborist now that I have a yard, and thought I did my research, but a couple of my white pines seem to be in trouble after recent high heat. Need to know if they are too far gone, or if this is relatively benign heat damage that they can recover from. Relevent details summarized below and pictures included.

• I live in Albuquerque (zone 7)
  • Planted the young white pines in early/mid spring
    • Not sure if they are eastern or western white pines. Card didn't specify. 
  • They were thriving until about a week ago when the heat picked up to the high 90s and low 100s
    • One of them (the smaller one) grew about 16 inches after I planted it, the other about 8 inches.
    • They were super healthy looking and bright green until the heat surged.
      • My wife and I were out of town for about 8 days and they were thoroughly watered right before we left. Should We have had someone come to water them given the length of time? 
    • They are so crispy now 😥
  • I am in the process of installing a frame over them on which I will be adding 60% plant shade fabric
    • These frames are not full coverage, so the pines (if they survive) will still get an hour or two of low direct sun in the morning and evening.

How much heat damage can these types of standard pines recover from when they are young like this?

Should I have planted them in the fall instead?

Is the shade system pointless?.. or something that can actually give them the edge they need while getting established?

Would love some advice.

Thanks!

p.s.

I also planted a Montezuma cypress that seems to be doing fine, though some of it's leaves are brown and crispy. We have an eastern white pine that started about a year older than the other two pines and it seems to be doing great. We also planted an Afghan pine that is doing really well. We have some emerald green thujas and Italian cypresses that seem to be struggling. Plan to plant a lot more trees this fall, and want to make sure we get it right.

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

3 answers to this question

I would suggest too well cared for they really responded to the attention you gave them by growing well, However they had little chance as soon as you left them on there own, with out a well established root system they had little chance in the heat/ dry temperatures, too much water makes then soft 

I think they are to far gone to recover and make a good tree, my advice would be to start again, perhaps use a pipe and place it as a ring about a quarter way up the roots then water into the pipe this will encourage the roots to grow down increasing the chance of survival if left for a while 

Iam not an expert just gardener,if it was me , I cut all new growt, watered them and w8 couple days then scratch cambium a little at the base of a tree ,if it not green in cambium and dry it’s 99%over, plant new start again.Open to correction of proper educated people,my advice purely based on experience not scientific knowledge!