How do you become a forestry timber cutter.

Hi all 

I have an ambition 

how do you become a forestry timber cutter 

how do you get the opportunity to learn the skills needed, shown what presentation and standards are, what is required for thinning etc

what qualifications will help, ( not confusing qualifications with experience and not undermining qualifications)

how do you deal with the lack of experience. I’m not interested in what the pay is, will be, that’s for another topic. How can you get a foot in the door and achieve what you aspire to do 

Many thanks for any help or advice 

R

If you're willing to relocate, even for a few months I would personally recommend heading to join a chestnut crew in Sussex or Kent. You'll get an abundance of felling and processing practice on relatively small trees, the work is usually on Piece rate so contractors are more willing to take on inexperienced folk as you don't have to justify a day rate. 

It's a good stepping stone to get your saw handling up to commercial speed. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Jackalope said:

If you're willing to relocate, even for a few months I would personally recommend heading to join a chestnut crew in Sussex or Kent. You'll get an abundance of felling and processing practice on relatively small trees, the work is usually on Piece rate so contractors are more willing to take on inexperienced folk as you don't have to justify a day rate. 

It's a good stepping stone to get your saw handling up to commercial speed. 

I’m unable to relocate, at the moment at least, as I have a full time job, missis had a stroke ( medical kind) in March and I have a windblow course in Scotland in May. I could do the relocation thing but, and I didn’t want to mention pay in this topic but it would have to be financially viable for ppe, saw parts, fuel, accommodation, bills food etc. just starting out I’m not sure about what I could commit to, I’m in Somerset so I would have to find something closer until I was up to speed and as has been mentioned in previous topics, it depends on how quickly I get up the learning curve. 

Well I would first find out by calling every company within a realistic radius of your home what the demand is for cutters. Then plan your approach depending on the results.

No point in spending money on tickets that there is no demand for.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Well I would first find out by calling every company within a realistic radius of your home what the demand is for cutters. Then plan your approach depending on the results.

No point in spending money on tickets that there is no demand for.

I’ve started looking already, thanks for the advice so far it’s really appreciated and helpful 

23 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Find out who your local tree guys are and contact them. Tell us your location and make this thread your CV, sell yourself. 

There isn't a fine line between tree surgery guys et al and foresters - but a VERY broad one. "Local Tree Guys" insinuates just that: trucks and chippers, not productive timber cutting.

• Like 3