to mill or not to mill?

plippy

• 6 months later...

I'm now trying to stick to the larger logs. Sub 18 inches diameter isn't worth bothering with unless it's a small tree species like Yew, Cherry or Holly, or high value, like Walnut.

Cabinet maker I work with said generally, the goal is boards of over 30 inches in width for Oak and Elm, and to a lesser degree Ash. If you can mill and stock those, you will be fine.

Jonathan

might be the wrong place to put this - and i dont want to sound stupid - here goes - Mr. L. is about to buy a mill - i know hes not sure whether to go down the band mill (hudson) or woodmizer/lucas mill - i state second hand of course - but were in the same position, getting bigger and lovelier bits of wood and such a shame to ship off to the mills etc for someone else to make some on or even try and plank some larch just for lap etc and boards - anyone have any ideas or been down this route?

hi its a good topic,,,,one I took hours dwelling over,,to buy saw or not? I eventually bought a woodmizer as had big load of oak coming in off job,,,,,so made sense,,got saw and have started getting money, back,,,,then comes along a job to take down huge cedar,,,,when I way up the cost of a crane,and a mate with tractor and low loader,,it wasnt worth it,,even after my time and lads wages,,,so used arb talk and am bringing in a fellow member with a lucas,,,,,,now i`d love one of them too,,,but,,,,,I`d be looking at divorce papers,,,,so contacts and resources like this site are great,,,,, dont regret getting it yet.

P.s do need a better tractor for loading etc,,,,lol

hi its a good topic,,,,one I took hours dwelling over,,to buy saw or not? I eventually bought a woodmizer as had big load of oak coming in off job,,,,,so made sense,,got saw and have started getting money, back,,,,then comes along a job to take down huge cedar,,,,when I way up the cost of a crane,and a mate with tractor and low loader,,it wasnt worth it,,even after my time and lads wages,,,so used arb talk and am bringing in a fellow member with a lucas,,,,,,now i`d love one of them too,,,but,,,,,I`d be looking at divorce papers,,,,so contacts and resources like this site are great,,,,, dont regret getting it yet.

P.s do need a better tractor for loading etc,,,,lol[/quote

the more kit you buy, the more kit you need to operate the kid youve just bought:blushing:

Ive been making furniture for parks for over 15yrs,,,,and have a good idea whats needed,,,,like rob says,,2-3 inch timbers are great,,,I basically make sure the bark is off nowadays if Im going to use the timber myself,,whilst it looks great it encourages beetle and worm,,unless its cedar,,,

I have loads of mates who are builders,and word travells fast, I square lots of oak up into large beams and then recut if needed,,using the waste for smaller planks,,,,,

Ive had a habiat of treating some of them with five star,,obviously only if its to be used indoors for beams etc,,,,,

Just made a Oak timber framed building for a school,,,,and used all my own timber,,,,its very rewarding,,,,,