DMM Captain Hook

Harry Kaye

For transferring to a new tree I use a vt hitch and pulley to capture progress. Also add in a foot ascender sometimes. Although I will often just pendulum across then climb back up the new tree, if that's easier.

I like the captain if doing long balanced branch walks, allows you to have another angled rope to lean into.

I also saw a vid of a guy using one to support the end of a small branch he was pruning.

Often don't use it for weeks then it is just brilliant on the right job.

Jan.

• Thanks 1

I pretty well only do utility works these days. The Captain is brilliant when in a woodland span of leggy Ash, Chestnut etc as it saves pulling yourself up each tree. So I can go up one tree, and come down 8 later.

Usually I clip it to the tail of my rope, and either throw it and just pull myself across, or if I'm more knackered I use the spare prussik on my harness as a progress capture type thingy

• Like 2

Prefer the epple hook myself as the gape is wider on the shank , I found the dmm limiting and heavy although it is a piece of art…. Rigged up a carbon wrench with bits from tree stuff who sell wrench spares… in all honesty though you don’t really need it if your climbing single line for advancing as you can usually double up for descending as it saves getting the hook stuck. 

44866BE9-6543-4123-944F-0BF261DEEEB3.jpeg

• Like 1