2015 GreenMech Arborist 19-28 refurbishment blog

GA Groundcare

We refurbish quite a few GreenMech wood chippers. We thought it would be interesting to document the work being carried out on this machine and its forthcoming journey (mainly with pictures). A 2015 Arborist 19-28 with in the region of 900 hours on the clock. 

Washed off and in our yard awaiting strip down. It was in a working condition. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7ff7206ddf2f8b4b2f5e42f2ba230903.jpeg

Isuzu 50hp engine in good health.

image.thumb.jpeg.31a0a38d329ed152de97b54d0c654a50.jpeg

Infeed hopper off, flywheel upper housing off, discharge chute off, engine panels off. Welder out aiding some snapped off bolts...

image.thumb.jpeg.d588e2320479050f7049ef2fbd2db7e6.jpeg

Engine out, flywheel out, hydraulics and feed rollers removed. Just down to a rolling chassis.

image.thumb.jpeg.47d927367c0b070e75bfe6b3b1819e9b.jpeg

Forklift drafted in, axle off. A frame pins currently seized in.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c6d92ac2710f0579d2cda7d44de7b86.jpeg

A frame removed and on its way for a wash.

image.thumb.jpeg.c67589135fcbab2c62696fc1480ed5a3.jpeg

Quick pressure wash off of panel work before everything being dipped, shot blasted and powder coated in original GreenMech green (RAL 6018)

image.thumb.jpeg.a8a65077c61b6574a5eb97ea8a4c7ff0.jpeg

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Seen a few of these for sale at very handy money. Been really tempted to get one to do me whilst having my bandit sorted. 

Really happy with the safetrac I got off you 18month or so ago 👍 😎 

The stop bar setup is better on the road tow, and it’s much much easier to swap the starter motor. Get one, you’ll love it!!! They must be the most underrated chipper out there (I’ve had 4, two of which are now with the gypos sadly). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Did the Isuzu engine carry on that late in the road tow as I thought our mk2 safe tracks were Kubota by rhen?

SafeTrak 19-28 MK2 went Kubota in around 2010. The 19-28 road tow stayed Isuzu up until production stopped a couple of years ago. In some respects the 19-28 road tow never went "mk2". It just kept up with the legislation changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, swinny said:

Seen a few of these for sale at very handy money. Been really tempted to get one to do me whilst having my bandit sorted. 

Really happy with the safetrac I got off you 18month or so ago 👍 😎 

There was a cheapish one on eBay down in Cornwall recently. Sometimes however, the purchase price is the thin end of the wedge! 

This machine will be for sale when completed. 

Great, glad she is serving you well!

Edited by GA Groundcare

16 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Check the sump - I’ve had a couple go porous from road salt and they are an engine out job to swap…

Yes, we sold a new Isuzu sump the other week as this had happened. We also had a 15-23 in the workshop recently with a porous sump. Engine out job as you say. However, it is relatively easy to whip the whole unit out as one.

Edited by GA Groundcare

• 2 weeks later...