Propping a Yew

scotspine1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the answer yes,but, I assume there is also a replacement planted nearby ? As with all prop jobs from small to large all opinions should be considered ,and I reckon this is where a fourm like this shows it's worth! It's great to drive past a job like that and know you have helped to prolong it's life.

lovely job:icon14: the use of timber has got to be more sypathetic to the trees needs and eisier on the eye too. im not a great lover of steel props and cables:thumbsdown: you should offer your services to the national nature reserve and get the major oak proped in that way rather than scaff poles:icon14:

• 5 months later...
NO! Fabric straps will cause mucho cambium damage...

I had to install many of svensk tradvards padded cable braces in the '90's, and do checks on old ones. the amount of cambium damage from the fabric was horrendous.

Far better to cross bolt than have any kind of padding pressing on the cambium.

This prob would be better in a thread of its own... but it would be interesting to hear more about your findings. Pics?

could start a pole dancing club under that Cedar :)

curious to know what the benifit of those props would be over bracing, e.g cobra??? or an end weight reduction??

would have thought cobra on those cedar limbs would allow the branches to undertake a more natural sideways, and restricted vertical movement in high winds, allowing the branches to carry on growing stronger???

liking tims yew props

• 4 months later...

Yew itself makes great props. Cut a long, straight piece, with a crook at the top, and it can last forever and won't split. Another good source of dead hard, straight timber is dead elm if you can find it big enough.

I like the idea of setting a slab under the lawn - it should stop the post sinking.

I have a good-sized Aesculus flava, at an angle of 45 degrees. We replaced the prop last year, and lifted the tree up slightly, before winching the prop inot place and lowering the tree back down. Its still sitting there now,, and, actually, the prop (dead elm) doesn't look too bad at all!