Edinburgh Groundsman/ work experience

Fenno

Hey guys, first time poster. My name is Matt and I’m look to get into the industry but struggling to break in.  Since university I’ve spent the last ten years as a bike messenger so am suitably fit and not afraid of a rainy day! I have my CS30/31 and aiming to get my aerial rescue in the coming months. I’ve been emailing companies but haven’t heard anything back so looking for any tips or tricks to get noticed. I understand a 32 year old with no experience in arb isn’t a winning combo but I’m keen and looking to take this seriously. I’d be happy to just get some experience if anyone is offering as well. 

Got all my own PPE, full clean driving license and can also offer a low to mediocre level of banter

Email is [email protected] or just message me here please 

Cheers  

Edited by Fenno
Spelling
  • Like 1

Might be worth introducing yourself in person as well as sending emails, maybe follow up the email with a phone call a week later and if you see or hear someone working try and have a chat directly. Think about other attributes you have that relate to the work like mechanical knowledge, customer skills and so on. Most people you're competing with will have done a course or two and be fairly fit.

Sorry if that's all obvious stuff, good luck with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Give them a call.

A busy bloke might just say ‘yeah, come tomorrow, big job on, could use another pair of hands’

Emails are easy to ignore.

I started aged 31 in ‘95, your age is well within the range, even preferable because often you’re more focused.

Good luck.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Edinburgh is over run with tree surgeons. You tend to find the ones that are looking generally are crap and can’t keep staff for obvious reasons. Be careful even if you do get a start. Always be prepared to walk away if you think they are unsafe or just full of sh…!!! Good luck oh and don’t forget the industry is definitely getting harder and wages are not climbing with inflation!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1