Chip yard

PatrickFirwood

So this year we're considering renting/purchasing some yard space so that we can dump woodchip, green waste and logs etc. and wondered if anyone on here could shed some information on the process of having woodchip collected?

For the last few years we've been using a composting site to get rid of all our woodchip, green waste and unwanted logs. The woodchip and logs we can dump there for free, and the green waste is £40 per load. The only issue is that the site is a 30 mile round trip, which is costing us a lot in terms of time a fuel. 

So my question is once you have a lorry loads worth of woodchip ready to go, do you have to pay to have it collected? Do they pay you? or do they have it for free and charge you nothing for taking it away? I'm guessing I would also need a loader of some sort to load it for them? or do they come with one on the back of their lorry?

Sorry if this is a total newbie question, I've only ever worked for firms that get rid of all their chip at local recycling centres so I'm not sure how it all works... 

You'll need 25t ish minimum for one load.

Yes a loader that can tip at circa 5m is required, and bigger bucket the better for speed of loading.  You will need to provide this on the day. 

Good access for the lorry and loader is important obviously, and some sort of wall or bank that the chip can be heaped up against is important.   

Depending on which way the wind is blowing and how the stars are aligned, you will be paid 5-10 per ton. 

It's a good way of turning around your waste for sure.  I sell chip by the trailer load also, so that pays for loading the lorry mostly.  

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Domino
  • Like 2

If you're selling woodchip you may fall into the planning permission will be required category especially with an increase in traffic.

You will need a telehandler, possible with a tractor loader but lifting height and bucket size make for very slow loading.

Plus chip has to be clean, preferably screened.

From what I've read you're problem is green waste, maybe buy a zago ecogreen and make a deal with the farmer. (Plenty of Farmer P videos).

I looked into a lot of this myself, whilst I am a do everything by the book or I'll get dobbed in mentality.

Ended up processing logs, using the chip for field restoration & saving for a zago as it's considered compost once churned up.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

Unusual for me to say this... but how is the tip sites for your area? Its usually the other way around. Should be able to dich the logs quick enough, maybe even the chip. Dealing with an extra level of the general public adds a hassle though (by the way if you are ever passing mine, tell me to move the car, tip and go....chips + logs OK). Left with just the green waste?

Apart from that it sounds like the farmer is the best bet, hire them to load the lorry if you can.

40 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Unusual for me to say this... but how is the tip sites for your area? Its usually the other way around. Should be able to dich the logs quick enough, maybe even the chip. Dealing with an extra level of the general public adds a hassle though (by the way if you are ever passing mine, tell me to move the car, tip and go....chips + logs OK). Left with just the green waste?

Apart from that it sounds like the farmer is the best bet, hire them to load the lorry if you can.

Tip sites are good around us (W.Scotland) but it makes more sense for us to meet at the yard in the morning and tip logs and chips when we get back. Chips are either sold to gardeners (trailer/tipper load) or we call AW Jenks when we have an Arctic load.....we get around £8 per tonne atm which pays for hire of tele. Logs are kept in the yard and on quite days we split for firewood. 

We've tried the whole tip site thing but to be honest paying a farmer £300 cash a month for the space its far cheaper than paying to tip green waste or run around looking for gardens to tip into.....its just what works for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excels1or said:

We've tried the whole tip site thing but to be honest paying a farmer £300 cash a month for the space its far cheaper than paying to tip green waste or run around looking for gardens to tip into.....its just what works for us.

This is true, they are only good if it is a benefit to you - for the OP a 30 mile round trip it might make sense if there is a drive, a nature place, or similar you can tip onto 5 miles away - save 20 miles and about an hour of time (on a Friday, an early dart...). Running about to drop half a load of logs here, chip there and green waste somewhere else doesn't make a lot of sense.

Still left needing somewhere for the green waste and anything you can't get rid off on the day so yes, paying a farmer sounds the best option

West coast of Scotland.... if you are ever passing East Kilbride with a tipper full..... (probably the wrong part of the west coast of course)

• Like 1