2 questions, 1. re derogations for a 40 year old vehicle, and 2. registering a Polish LHD G Wagen

difflock

First, are there any relaxations for 40+ year old vehicles in respect of MOT and/or whatever they call car tax now?

Or did the UK simply fix 1972(was it?) as a fixed cut-off date for such derogations.

Second, how difficult is it, and what will it cost to register a 2010 Polish registered LHD G Wagen in the UK. this being a rather rare G Wagen "Professional" with the OM642 engine, that might be coming up for sale in Dublin.

Well the first question was easy answered.

And, bugger it, I dipped out by 2 years! Gerrrr!

Edited by difflock

48 minutes ago, difflock said:

First, are there any relaxations for 40+ year old vehicles in respect of MOT and/or whatever they call car tax now?

Or did the UK simply fix 1972(was it?) as a fixed cut-off date for such derogations.

Second, how difficult is it, and what will it cost to register a 2010 Polish registered LHD G Wagen in the UK. this being a rather rare G Wagen "Professional" with the OM642 engine, that might be coming up for sale in Dublin.

Well the first question was easy answered.

And, bugger it, I dipped out by 2 years! Gerrrr!

As far as Im aware its a rolling 40 years old to be tax and MOT exempt. So if as you say the Truck is 40 years old it will have been build on or before 1982. But there is a point system to be MOT free. So if its a stock vehicle you should be fine. Modifications such as swapping out engines to ones that could have come in the vehicle from stock are also allowed. My 1976 Dodge Truck is MOT and tax free. :D 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, difflock said:

It is a 1984 registered G Wagen.

Registered or built? Can you find the Build date from the Vin or any other paperwork? For example I know the build date and build plant from the Fender Tag on my Truck. I believe that if you can prove it was built on a certain date thats obviously earlier than the registration date you can go off of that. 

Another example, I know of some 1973 Plymouth Barracuda's that where known as the 'Kingston 'Cuda's' Built in the US for export to a Dealer in Gran Canaria and for whatever reason remained unsold. A Dealer in the UK, based in Kingston bought them all, shipped them back to the UK and they sold slowly, the last one was not sold until 1982! So Going by the registration date it was not eligible for Tax and MOT exemption till last year. 

Worth looking into. 

• Like 1

A retired commercial vehicle that was modified when it was still working can still be mot exempt but not if it was modified after it finished work.

As can modified cars providing the mods are period correct.

im not 100% now we are out of the EU but check on the Nova system, if it’s not registered on it you could be liable for the import duty. We have a polish import pickup but I’m out of date as we registered it 9 plus years ago. Ours is modified but still mot exempt as it was done whilst still being worked.

Edited by Will C
More info