Pinning and reduction of large split on a Veteran Oak - opinions please

symbiotic

I have been asked to quote to reduce this Veteran oak by a third. The tree is taller than it is wider. It has a very large vertical split from ground level all the way up to crown break at aprox. 4m where it bifurcates. The split is large enough to see daylight through it. It has been there since early summer last year at the very least. It has been pinned in two spots with large metal rods, there is another to come. This has not been done by me, I actually had never heard or seen of that before. This spec has been advised to the client by the woodland Trust and at first I doubted if it was a reasonable action. The client would like to keep it for as long as possible.

I would of said there is good reason to fell it, but given its location in a field boundary line to another field, I think it's fair to try to retain it for as long as possible. There is a Right of way footpath through the property which runs past the tree outside the tree line. Given the low usage and distance from the tree, I would say this is a low target zone and wouldn't affect the outcome of what to do with the tree.

I am interested in all your opinions on it and what you would do? Do you think pinning and a 30% reduction is a good spec? 

on a side note:

The first thing I thought when I saw the Oak with the works in mind was MEWP!!! the clients wife rolled her eyes at me but surely something like that is good enough reason as HSE would say that should be the first choice anyway. The clients wife is a gardener, they can be tough clients can't they. 

IMG_5193.HEIC IMG_5194.HEIC IMG_5195.HEIC IMG_5196.HEIC

Using rods is not unusual on trees like these. Not that I’ve ever done it, or ever will.

It doesn’t look easy to do (right) so do your research. 
You could cable it as well if you want the belt and braces approach.

If it’s been like that since last summer I don’t see why you shouldn’t climb it on a non windy day.

I suspect it’s a tree grown out of a hedge that has escaped after years of being kept down, hence the unusual form.

If the client wants to spend the money, why not?

585E5C19-E45C-406A-9C0F-C79B3EDE0410.jpeg

BFAF12A7-58C5-443F-B9B2-A03CFF2C44D1.jpeg

7BE079B9-6755-455A-B3D4-19369ADE487E.jpeg

18D38A0B-3C13-40BC-AE87-BC3C200BF965.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey

3 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’d use a MEWP if I owned one, but I’d climb that all day long without any worries.

Like Mick, I’d also consider some Cobra bracing as an extra safety measure.

I think a fell would be a bit unnecessary in that location.

I’d be more inclined to use proper cable bracing, you’ve got the big drill there anyway.

• Like 1

well everyday's a school day.

Thanks for all the messages, I will definitely take all this this into consideration.

The client had mentioned bracing, but i've only ever fitted cobra and Boa. I guess cables are more static and robust.

all information very much appreciated. 

Thank you  

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

A hard prune on a tree like that, in a totally rural situation would look incongruous imo.

no probably would look a bit odd, but do you think a lighter prune would keep it upright?

although in reality with no targets around one could probably leave it alone.