crash

Dave D

just thought i'd share todays story with you all,

i was driving back to the yard after the job today, missed the turning and ended up taking the scenic route back where upon we came across an accident involving 2 cars at a crossroads along the lanes. one car was crushed at the front and the other was turned on its side having obviously been hit in the passenger side. it must have only just happpend as there were no emergency services there yet. some vehicles had stopped but others were unbelievably just driving round! i asked someone if anyone was trapped and unsurprisingly there were two in the car on its side so i went over to see if i could help. there were three people at the car trying to help already and i explained i had some first aid knowledge if needed, but thankfully the casualties were in good hands already as it turns out that these three seemingly ordinary members of the public turned out to be an off duty paramedic, an off duty copper and an off duty fireman, what are the chances of that!? now add to that a couple more off duty coppers traveling back from somewhere together! myself and another bloke managed to rip the windscreen out with the help of a hammer and a thick pair of gloves(dont worry, a blanket had allready been passed into the car to stop them getting showered in glass). the driver climbed out but the passenger was still stuck between the front and back and they had to be removed by the fire brigade who arrived shortly after. fortunately it seems that no one recieved any serious injuries but all went off with a free ride in an ambulance. very lucky indeed.

It's amazing how thick people can be when confronted with something like that Dave, not stopping, driving around and not phoning 999

I came round a corner on a national speed limit road to find a scene of devastion.

Immediately I got out of the car, asked if someone had dialled 999, told our lass to reverse the car with hazards on back round the corner to warn other cars.

Then, believe it or not, went into BOTH cars and switch off the ignition, one car upside down the other on it's side. Casualties were then assessed to assertain whether or not injuries were life threatening and handed over to someone who turned up more qualified.

I dont know what people think, but to me the first thing on coming across an accident is to secure the scene and make it safe.

Nobody thought to warn oncoming traffic to stop them ploughing into the crash site, luckily I only drive as fast as my braking distance will allow

Your a good man for stopping Dave, it amazes me that some people just go past or even worse just stop and watch.

A few years ago I came out of our yard to find all the neighbours standing outside their houses watching a car that had caught light, (all the passengers where out). I asked if anyone had called the fire brigade not one of them had, they all assumed someone else had done it.:thumbdown:

good on you dean, a cool calm and collected head and a bit of common sense is all it takes. although a couple of the off duty coppers were controlling traffic on part of the road my mate grabed my hi vis and went up the other stretch to stop traffic there. even if youre not gonna stop and help, at least stop and be patient!

i gave my groundie a right "telling off" a couple of years ago when driving in our lorry, with 3 strong blokes in, 2 first aid kits, fire exingushers, ropes, mobile phones ect, he point blank refused to stop when we saw a car in a ditch, people inside, upside down, and just 1 person helping he was and still is an idiot to put it mildly

well done for stopping dave, sounds like a start to a joke-'a policeman, paramedic and fire fighter are in volved in a crash . . . '

i gave my groundie a right "telling off" a couple of years ago when driving in our lorry, with 3 strong blokes in, 2 first aid kits, fire exingushers, ropes, mobile phones ect, he point blank refused to stop when we saw a car in a ditch, people inside, upside down, and just 1 person helping he was and still is an idiot to put it mildly

well done for stopping dave, sounds like a start to a joke-'a policeman, paramedic and fire fighter are in volved in a crash . . . '

unbelievable! what is wrong with people? why wouldnt he stop?:mad1:

and yeah i nearly titled the thread - a policeman, paramedic and fireman, but thought people would be disapointed with no joke:biggrin:

People dont stop because they are scared to stop, they are scared they may be faced with a scene from a horror movie.

I am immune from this as I wake up next to something horrific every morning..

JOKE love

nice one to both dave and dean. ive had a few experiences like this. luckily nothing anywhere near as severe. and it occured to me that everytime ive been in any situation, the people that stop to help seem to always be the people that have not the 'safest' jobs/ lives and seem to maybe value life more than others?

now i know thats a pretty broad generalisation and by no means am i saying all office based peeps are useless.. not at all... just my personal experiences.

main thing is, as long as SOMEONE stops. again. nice one dave and dean :)

Several years ago, a mate of mine saw a bad accident happen just in front of him. Being lorry driver, he used his savvy and blocked the carriageway, phioned emergency services, and administered 1st aid. After the scene was sorted, the Police then scrutinized his vehicle, and ticketed him for a faulty taillight and dirty number plate. So much for community spirit. I always stop at incidents, you may be able to help, even if its just to slow down traffic til the cavalry comes and takes over.