How can I remove the door of a Scan Andersen 4-5 wood burning stove?

21 minutes ago, Nopedigree said:

Looking at the top hinge it ain’t going to lift off like a field gate…

is there a hole under the top hinge, if so does the top pin have an Allen key head too? Although I suspect the following..

Other thought is is the bottom pin mushroom headed ( flattened and made fatter like a rivet) like spud asked? If so it (the mushroom headed pin) must be able to be pulled out now the grub screw is out. Plenty of WD AND try twisting it using mole grips.

if that don’t work or even before trying fit the rope on the door as is. Get the right diameter rope and rope glue and hold it in place with plenty of masking tape for a day or so.

good luck

NoPedigree

Thanks NoPedigree - you're right, no grub screw under the top hinge.

I would say (guess) the pin is mushroom headed. It's got a flat top anyway. Been trying to wedge a screwdriver under it to lift it off but it's not budging so far. It's got quite a smooth round head, so little to grip onto to turn or lift it. 

Masking tape idea is a good one to hold rope in place if I can't get the door off!

Cheers again! 👍

17 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I was thinking it might go down first now the grub screw is out, dislocate from the top hinge and then lift.

Else use more oil and screwdriver under the bottom hinge pin mushroom head

I would leave well enough alone and glue the rope in with the door on, maybe with a clamp or two starting at the top.

If I have no luck loosening this pin, I will go down the route of keeping the door where it is and glueing the rope seal in with it upright. Cheers for your reply. 👍

17 hours ago, Tony Mac said:

If I have no luck loosening this pin, I will go down the route of keeping the door where it is and glueing the rope seal in with it upright. Cheers for your reply. 👍

Glue the rope seal and use some adhesive tape to hold it in place then shut the door on it and leave it for the rest of the day.

• Like 2

Probably the easiest method and I have done one before like this, the pressure the closed door exerts will make sure the seals set in place. After four hours, you could make up a small fire just to finish off the glue hardening.

Other than that, you could make something up that resembles a car ball joint remover or chain link remover to push the pin out, something like this: -

2646R_P&$prodImageLarge$

Thanks Spudulike, but I have now replaced the rope seal without removing the door.

It went well, with the help of my good lady wife, who held it (the rope!) in place while I fed it into the groove (on the door!). 

My only concern is that it was a bit of a struggle to close the door with the new rope, and I had - and have still - a slight worry that the rope I bought is too fat. It was 10mm which was the smallest I could get from this particular online shop, but I have subsequently seen that I could've got one 7mm in diameter.

I've closed the door and I'm hoping that the rope will crush and flatten down under pressure enough to make future closing less difficult. What do you reckon?