help me pass assessment

stroudy

hey guys i did the tree climbing and aerial rescue course last week and im doin the assessment on monday. im dyslexic and really worred i wont pass. Any tips would be good, cheers guys

alright mate,

you should be fine, it sounds like the assessor (assuming you get the same one for your assessment) is an understanding type, then again most generally are. All i can say is on the theory side of things is try and recreate the assessment at home, revise by reading each section then cover the answers and read the questions again and this time write what you think the answer is on a pad, i find writing it down draws it from my memory banks better! do this several times and you find each time you do it you answer more questions, finally round it off by getting someone to ask you all the questions and see how you do. Another tip for remembering for prompting your brain to cough up an answer is to use the first letter of each answer in a section and form a word, it may be a daft word but if it helps you find the answer then job done! After saying all of this, if you'ver done 30 & 31 then you'll be ok. I can't see Dyslexia being a problem on the climbing assessment, just remember to relax.:thumbup1:

Hi mate,

Recently passed mine and honestly don't worry about it, the assessors are fantastic and very easy going, one little hint which I nearly messed up on is to make sure that for your single line aerial rescue that your anchor point is twice the size of a normal anchor point since you are going to be having twice the weight on that line, so climb it and look for a big fat anchor point and put in a re-direct if needed.

Best of luck mate

As an assessor myself ,& knowing others your concerns will be considered, when responding to questions explain to the assessor in plain language what you mean. We dont expect a torrent of words & if you cant remember the relevant words but can explain the process then Tell the assessor in that way Anxiety can lead you to get tongue tied so. take the assessment at a stead pace & If you dont understand the question make sure the assessor knows that & it will be re phrased for you

Dont rush there are no extra prizes for rushing although when doing your areial rescue there is an element of haste required as you can imagine you'd need in a real rescue situation however remain focused, be direct in your actions & any comments or instructions you give

Edited by Yorkshireman

dont worry mate youll get through it ok, Logbarons dyslexic and its never stopped him so far - just take your time and let your assessors now and theyll help if you need it - weve always found all assessors throughout both our careers in hort & arb. very helpful - best of luck !