STHIL MSA 220 T

HMW

1 minute ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Yes it is a fair bit of a problem. I had a look at when we last had some pro husky batteries in stock, it was last June! I also know that we had some on order before then that haven't arrived yet. That's not to say that there aren't some coming into the country as we may be further down the waiting list than other dealers. But it does show that there can't be many batteries rolling off the production line that's for sure.

Funnily enough, after I wrote that I picked up the phone and checked at my local dealer and they’d had a delivery!

So I popped out and got one, didn’t realise it was a 300amp one, which is big and heavy.

We’ll see how it goes.

• Like 1

If you don't mind, let me know your thoughts on using the 300. We've had a few a people who have side stepped the big battery due to balance of the machine.

There is a new version of the 540I due out this year along with the mk3 petrol version. This year being 2025,  obviously :)

8 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

If you don't mind, let me know your thoughts on using the 300. We've had a few a people who have side stepped the big battery due to balance of the machine.

There is a new version of the 540I due out this year along with the mk3 petrol version. This year being 2025,  obviously :)

I think I’ll just take it back (the battery) it’s not a light saw anyway for the power, this is too much.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I think I’ll just take it back (the battery) it’s not a light saw anyway for the power, this is too much.

I have a 536 top handle - find it pretty light to be honest. I have a 300 husky battery too and agree it does change the balance. Still find it usable though. All the more with two hands - it's fine in the ground saw version too.  Balance wise I'd say it still feels less tiring in the hand than the 540 petrol.

Seem to remember that the 540 needs the bigger battery to deliver it's full cutting power whereas I don't know if there's any difference with the 536 - I don't notice any that's for sure. 

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Différent strokes I guess.

I only like the 536 when I’m repollarding limes or other really soft wood.

Using it on acacia, especially dead stuff, is painful.

Yep - it's a pruning saw the 536 certainly.  Handy to have near the chipper though. 

Also good for early starts in the summer when a petrol saw would piss off les voisins.  But that's true of all battery saws.

Edited by Puffingbilly413
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2022 at 21:54, AHPP said:

Had a good talk through the switching with a Stihl rep at the APF and then had a go with one in a tree the other day. It's a dangerous piece of shit. The switching absolutely ruins it. Turns itself off when you don't want it off, encourages you to accidentally turn it on when you do want it off, discourages good chain brake discipline. Will cause accidents through mistake and through frustration. The more serious accidents will be on time sensitive cuts, chasing hinges, waiting for wind etc. The saw will prevent people making the cut at the correct time and then they'll panic, mash the button and charge at the cut too late or too far. Will also increase fatigue, handling the thing for longer than necessary.

Infantilising professionals will not make them safer or more productive. Nor will it help less experienced users. It'll imbue them with a lack of confidence in their tools and take their minds off the job.

I cannot emphasise enough how utterly shit the 220t is. I'm spending tomorrow brushing up on my German and then I'm going to shout at someone from Stihl on Monday. A flagship model and an opportunity to put Stihl at the top of the tree for battery saws. Absolutely squandered. Cretins.

Agree with this. The switching it's self off in seconds is infuriating. Husky and echo saw stay on for a while without the chain brake on and even longer with the brake on. Much more user friendly. Husky added a 2 way dead man handle for extra safety which was annoying but is not thought about now. Maybe the stihl system will become that way? I imagine not though as the switch will require altering your hand position to turn it back on just after you've lined up on your cut.

The machine is heavier and slower cutting compared to the t540ixp.

Seems like a flop given the time it's taken to appear on the shelves.

I have the t540ixp and really rate it, a friend just got the 220t. So I have used them side by side and there is a clear winner to me. Which I want expecting.

The stihl also had a 12" bar the husky 14" and was still lighter and quicker.

(I have no bias to either brand)

Edited by StephenMews
  • Like 1