Advice on ?Querkus velutina

maven

Re-introduce pine martens.....though they may evole to deal with them....

The lack of anti-predator behavioural response in the invasive grey squirrel to the native predator, the
pine marten, may only be temporary. While prey species typically develop anti-predator responses
through coevolution with predators, prey facing strong selection pressures can develop anti-predator
behaviours within a single generation e.g. moose (Alces alces) developing hyper-vigilance in response
to wolves (Canis lupus) [60], or within a few generations e.g. ring-tailed possums (Pseudocheirus
peregrinus) responding to olfactory cues of alien red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) [19]. However, the
development of effective anti-predator responses is not guaranteed, and many naive species have
become extinct due to introduction of novel predators prior to the development of effective anti-
predator responses [6,19]. Thus, the long-term lack of behavioural response observed in grey squirrels
to pine marten remains equivocal.

https://pinemarten.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Twining-et-al_2020.pdf

I think I've read sufficient comment from a Scottish gent on here (can't remember which one) who lives with martens around him.  Basically he says 'you don't want them; they eat anything that moves, not just squirrels'.

I fear the risk of another poorly chosen introduction, or re-introduction even.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I doubt shooting will be much of a control, can get expensive too.

It depends if you have someone who likes shooting. I seem to have cleared them from the patch of woodland around our house by baiting an area and shooting any I saw over winter. The problem is they move back in quickly if large areas aren't cleared. I've done the same with lethal trapping with my other patch of woodland, cleared them all one year and had no damage (and a good nut harvest) but the next year some returned and the year after back to a fair bit of damage.

I've also read reports that the pine martins are not the great saviour that has been touted and remain a bit sceptical of proposed contraception plans. With the cost of living crisis you would hope more people would be eating the little "tree kebabs". 

Can't see shooting trapping greys doing much help  longterm  as they just move back from surrounding areas.

Its like a bigger version of thoose seabird roost islands that have rats. The only way its to get every last one otherwise its a waste of effort .....back to square one......

Isle of wight greys are locally kept extinct etc.

Like in Day of the triffids they stop any getting over......

As many other animals have being hunted to extinction historically  is that not possible for greys with a one off big effort? A one-off large cost for longterm savings? Suppose it would be alot harder for a fast breeding numerous species than it was for others....

The NZ policy is:

“Our ambition is that by 2050 every single part of New Zealand will be completely free of rats, stoats and possums,”