Not very hidden agenda to get more and more state bale outs...

Squaredy

3 hours ago, GarethM said:

Could be drought stress, that being said the acorns weren't any smaller than usual.

Yeah, the ones I'm thinking of seem to be larger than normal, as well as more abundant.

I've also seen lots of premature Field Maple seeds on the ground. Guessing that's more down to drought stress.

Edited by sime42

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

That’s not what you said though. You said it was free in Scotland. It’s not. 

If you fall within the bracket of those the grants are there to help - yes, in most (if not all) cases it will be free. If you do not fall within the area of help - then no. But then you wouldn't be getting a grant, so you wouldn't be asked to pay.

I also said that some research should be done to see what's available in the area the person is in and for their situation. I don't expect folk to blindly front up to grant companies and demand grants FREE because they seen me casually chatting about it on forum 😂

3 minutes ago, John Skinner said:

If you fall within the bracket of those the grants are there to help - yes, in most (if not all) cases it will be free. If you do not fall within the area of help - then no. But then you wouldn't be getting a grant, so you wouldn't be asked to pay.

I also said that some research should be done to see what's available in the area the person is in and for their situation. I don't expect folk to blindly front up to grant companies and demand grants FREE because they seen me casually chatting about it on forum 😂

So it’s not actually free in Scotland then is it? 🙄

52 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

You don’t need to educate anyone. The World Wide Web is available to every single person in the U.K. and often free of charge. Anyone can educate themselves if they so wanted. Stop making excuses for the dross of society. 

This is a great point, it also highlights how people can be lead to developing inaccurate knowledge. Few people attempt to understand anything on an epistemological level as in what is the theory behind what they know - how do they know that etc. 

Anyone can 'educate' themselves yes but again very few look towards the tenets of positivism for developing their rationale. Typically they go for a subjective opinionated view due to seeing themselves as victims. Right wing politics is massively onto this and are ensuring their voter base stay well away from positivism and stick to more subjective values. 

Erich Fromm goes well into this in 'The Fear of Freedom'

Edited by Phil_G

2 minutes ago, Phil_G said:

This is a great point, it also highlights how people can be lead to developing inaccurate knowledge. Few people attempt to understand anything on an epistemological level as in what is the theory behind what they know - how do they know that etc. 

Anyone can 'educate' themselves yes but again very few look towards the tenets of positivism for developing their rationale. Typically they go for a subjective opinionated view due to seeing themselves as victims. Right wing politics is massively onto this and are ensuring their voter base stay well away from positivism and stick to more subjective values. 

Erich Fromm goes well into this in 'The Fear of Freedom'

Anyone can Google “what wild berries can I eat in the U.K” and not delve into a political echo chamber. 🙄

2 minutes ago, John Skinner said:

So you'd only accept it as being a free grant if it were also free to those that don't actually qualify for it ? OMFG 🤣

I'll bow out of this madness now.

No, you stated it was free in Scotland. That’s simply not true. It’s potentially free to a select few who may qualify. A vast difference. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Anyone can Google “what wild berries can I eat in the U.K” and not delve into a political echo chamber. 🙄

Isn't this exactly what we are discussing - whether someone knows where berries grow - others seems to think they grow in plastic containers and not from trees/bushes going off the information shared here.

Political echo chamber 🤣 just rolling out well established facts lets not get triggered andy