1999 Steyr Daimler Van in for a much needed refurb.

difflock

5 minutes ago, difflock said:

Do you smoke,

while using neat petrol nicely dispersed with compressed air?

I like the way you separated the two questions with great distance...

In order to address the cleaning of engine parts to be reassembled.. as an apprentice engineer we used and blew about Trichloro ethylene on a daily basis until it was banned.. now I'm not for 1 minute suggesting that this was wrong.

But.. there is no doubt that solvents used safely simply work where the alternative HO2 based products, for the most part,  simply don't...

So I still use solvents to clean engine parts prior to assembly, blown clean outside to avoid explosive possibilities, and I have no guilt👍

Regarding your first question.. it's thankfully been more than 10 years since I last used tobacco🙄

• Like 2

Gibbering on a bit I appreciate.

But.

After, and for no known reason, being a grumpy bugger on Sunday, and a stressed out sod yesterday, and NOT sleeping last night and being out and about at 04:45 this morning, etc etc.

I was out again just now and spent a few captivating minutes at the pond watching(through binos) a pair of Goldfinch working over the Bullrushes for nesting material while the first Swallows flitted about in the background as the Moorhen clucked away contentedly somewhere unseen.

Life is good!

Bonus pic of Der G Wagen.

IMG_20230418_072145189.jpg

IMG_20230418_071646904.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Macpherson said:

I like the way you separated the two questions with great distance...

In order to address the cleaning of engine parts to be reassembled.. as an apprentice engineer we used and blew about Trichloro ethylene on a daily basis until it was banned.. now I'm not for 1 minute suggesting that this was wrong.

But.. there is no doubt that solvents used safely simply work where the alternative HO2 based products, for the most part,  simply don't...

So I still use solvents to clean engine parts prior to assembly, blown clean outside to avoid explosive possibilities, and I have no guilt👍

Regarding your first question.. it's thankfully been more than 10 years since I last used tobacco🙄

When I worked in the steelworks at Corby there was a big vapour Trich cleaning tank that was used to clean the large rolling mill bearings. Guys used to hang their overalls in the tank to get them cleaned - not recommended! Practice was prohibited but always used to catch them doing it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, petercb said:

When I worked in the steelworks at Corby there was a big vapour Trich cleaning tank that was used to clean the large rolling mill bearings. Guys used to hang their overalls in the tank to get them cleaned - not recommended! Practice was prohibited but always used to catch them doing it.

How things have changed in such a short time... for the better? I'm not so sure about that.

I am/was proud of our industrial past and all that we achieved, but as they say 'pride goes before a fall' which has never been more apparent than right now, cheers.

13 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

How things have changed in such a short time... for the better? I'm not so sure about that.

I am/was proud of our industrial past and all that we achieved, but as they say 'pride goes before a fall' which has never been more apparent than right now, cheers.

Agreed Steelworks all gone apart from a few tubemaking sheds. Fortunately a lot of redevelopment took place. From a proud engineering nation to service industry in a few short years.

• Like 3

Well she got fresh engine oil and a new  filter today, but I suspect the auto transmission needs attention. A mix of both hard shifting and slurring, despite the ATF being clear red and the  fill level right.

Only 126,900 miles on her and the auto trans was allegedly totally rebuilt less than 20,000 mile ago. And she is not worked hard.

P.S. 

I bought her in the spring of 2005 with  about 100,000 miles on(from memory) direct from the factory/importer(Automotive Technique.

So 27,000 miles over 18 years=1500/year.

Bloody hell ah cud have afforded to run a G500 instead.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

Needed to move the parked up 1989 LWB  460 out of the shed, so after putting a sniff of air in the tyres and dropping an old battery in her, she started near first kick. Drove her up and down the lane and round the back field to give her a bit of a warmup, and actually enjoyed driving her, prob because the inside is in really good condition.

So I might throw a wheen o pound at her as well and keep her.

Bonus pic o the van.

And wayhay!

The wee ♥️ one turns 40 in Dec this year, so no income tax/no VAT.(Road tax nor MOT)

See pics

IMG_20230426_141110043.jpg

IMG_20230426_141127107.jpg

Edited by difflock
  • Like 6