brown tail moth. help pease?

treesnakey

i have six small plums that have these little buggers. Im doing the work on the 20th feb, so they should still be eggs in the nests. Im thinking due to the size of the trees doing all the work with ploe pruners. Me and my groundie will be wearing full cover suits, masks and disposable gloves and the wood will be bagged and burnt with the suits.

Any other advice?

• 4 months later...
Do you guys know how effective spraying these critters is?

Have you got an out brreak Paul?

Guess it depends on what you spray them with.

Deltamethrin was mentioned by FC at the LTOA OPM update the other day, as being something that works on all instars of the processionary moth.

Potentialy wipes out all localised bio-diversity.

Not personaly used spray on any of the catapillar problems myself.

Pyrethoid is noted as being used on BTM when they are out of the nests, though again, consider side effects.

Edited by Monkey-D

Do you guys know how effective spraying these critters is?

The pyrethroid deltamethin is extremely effective, but it is also highly toxix to everything else it comes into contact with :thumbdown:. BT (Bacillus) is more specific, but not quite so effective.

IF you do decide that spraying is the option that you are going to opt for, the dead critters still need to be collected and incinerated.

Edit - Oops, looks like I posted at the same time as MonkeyD!

Thanks for that peeps.

We have been asked to remove a small infested tree. I was wondering about spraying the tree first to kill off as many caterpillars as possible and therefore reduce the risk to our operators when removing the tree.

I am aiming to incinerate the tree on site a week or so later. Sound feasible?