tree ownership?

Rik

Dean, whilst your politeness and moral stance is admirable.

There seems to be two camps here. The one you are argueing and the one everyone that disagrees with you is argueing.

If I were to cast my vote, it would be against you on this one, or a no vote.

Covering my butt is more important to me than the sensibilities of Joe public, or the money from the job (which I realise is not your motivation, but one of trust).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No its not, i dont take there word for it if its not obvious, people lie. you don't have to be rude about it it's how you ask, i would rather loose the job than end up in the middle of a dispute. Have you never had a customer say theres no tpo on theses trees? do you take there word for it then? i DON'T if i had of done i would of been up in court a few times now, customers telling porkies! If they think im being rude tough, dont think they will stick up for me in court do you!

If its on a boundry i poit it out that it will be shared and go from there, im not on about sitting em down and holding them to ransom with a 200t, im talking about asking questions and checking the answers out, thats not disrespectful its finding fact from fiction.

No you dont take their word for it re tpo, you check without their knowledge because you can do so. You do not question them to their face and tell them you cannot trust them so you'll have to check yourself.

My argument is not about TPO it is about tree ownership and whether it is the tree cutters responsibility to double check and if the tree cutter asks the questions whether he is still liable and not the tree owner

the only way to establish hard fact is if the land was transferred certa Land Registration Act 2002 AND falls within 1m if the deed was in 1:1250 scale map and 2m if on a 1:2500(from the best of my recolection but is pretty close if not exact) otherwise just get both sides to agree. other wise, worst case senario, it depends on what the judges day has been like so far.

Edited by educated arborist
typo

dean has strong family values, ones that cant be taught in a classroom, but ones thta he has been brought up with, i am the same. My business life was a complete shambles of stress, anxiety and being owed money. I took my family values into business and used them as rules and i got eaten up.

Now i have business rules and stick to them, i have no worries and i am not owed any money. If dont get a job i am not bitter because i shared a recipe with an old deer while looking at her apple trees, or if a customer has a snag, i look over my job sheet, and we NEGOTIATE a solution. even today i have a customer trying to hold back payment on a job, i havent spoke to her, just a nieghbour. The obvious problem is nieghbourly comunication, not me. I was told what to do by one so did it to the letter, they paid asap and i left a bill for the other, i go around today to look for money and nieghbour tells me the problem, i tell them it is between them not me and i expect payed by monday, and i put invoice through the problem nieghbous door, end of, if she doesnt pay, then its in the hands of a lawyer, if she wants to discuss it further, pay me first then i will quote for the other work. i will still say hello in the shops and i will not be bitter or resentfull

Edited by Stephen Blair

Your just too trusting:001_smile:

I believe no one.

If someone said "Yes it is the neighbours tree but he said its ok to to prune it."

I doubt you would just go ahead and do the job without speaking to the neighbour.

This imo is no different.

I would just confirm it with the neighbour that it is ok to go ahead with the fell/pruning etc.If they started to argue the toss about it then I'm outa there.

Dean, whilst your politeness and moral stance is admirable.

There seems to be two camps here. The one you are argueing and the one everyone that disagrees with you is argueing.

If I were to cast my vote, it would be against you on this one, or a no vote.

Covering my butt is more important to me than the sensibilities of Joe public, or the money from the job (which I realise is not your motivation, but one of trust).

Believe it or not I am not arguing, I'm trying to find out facts, I'm as keen as anyone to know where we stand. I fail to see how WE can be held responsible provided we have taken steps to establish tree ownership.

According to what we have established so far peices of paper with things written on are not worth the paper they are written on.

No you dont take their word for it re tpo, you check without their knowledge because you can do so. You do not question them to their face and tell them you cannot trust them so you'll have to check yourself.

My argument is not about TPO it is about tree ownership and whether it is the tree cutters responsibility to double check and if the tree cutter asks the questions whether he is still liable and not the tree owner

You dont have to tell them you dont trust them!!!!! but you must be sure who's property your doing work on!!!!! Yes it is MY responsability to take all steps to cover myself, Mr and Mrs bloggs couldnt give a monkeys about me in the long run so i take steps to protect myself. What your saying is that you take customers words as true, can be v dangerouse. I have great relations with my customers,i explaine why i need toknow etc etc and not one has got the ump over my questions, infact quite a few have commented on how professional i have acted in getting my facts right, what they don't know is thats its to My benefit!

By the way I'm all over arbtalk tonight as I finally got a broadband connection to the caravan that I live in. I can now watch the vids (dieing to see rupes takedown) and post pics etc. This may be bad news to some (sorry Hamad), but what better place to announce my entrance into the world of fast tinternet stuff than a thread that happens to have everyone's attention:biggrin::biggrin:

sorry Dean and everyone, trying to figure out how to post a pic of my LDV somewhere:biggrin: