tree ownership?

Rik

Hear what ya saying Dean but its more hassle having neighbours having a go with you in the middle. I priced a job yesterday for a sycamore reduction, tree right on boundry, customer A wants it and is willing to pay cos it blocks his light out in summer, spoke to customer B who said "yes thats fine i aint bothered" but i told then i would need the job signed for before we start, both agreed no problem, and my ass is covered if one of em changes there mind after its done. I don't see it as disrespectful to quiz customers about ownership etc, aslong as its done in a nice and professional way of course, above all else MY ass WILL be covered. Theres just too many people out there looking toget somat for nowt.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i realise now why i was so bust and having so much hassle when i first atrarted out in tree work, because all the guys that had been on the go longer had ditched all the problem customers, then along came 'aim to please steve' now i give my new customers the 3rd degree before i even leave the house, that is a bit strong but i dont waste my time with time wasters,dreamers and chancers. There are some new lads in my town, busy as anything and working for all the crazy folk i used too ha ha, they are welcome to them.

Andy is spot on mate & if your mate the barrister was taking on the case he would need & be relying on an expert whitness in court, working as an expert whitness & going off of case president ur up the creek without a paddle. "oh no no TPO on that one dean here i'll sign you a disclaimer", again your fked no disclaimer would be worth the paper its written on.

(PS if you wan't to pay for it i'll do you a legal apraisal??, case president, underlying acts the lot)

It is within my remit to enquire on a tpo , most customers dont even know what a tpo is, they do however know whether or not they own their tree.

I have no easy way of finding out whether they do or not. I do not have a data base of tree ownership to fall back on, I do have a database of tpo registrations to refer to.

It's extremely rude to quiz them after they have just told you it IS their tree

no its not dean! it is rude to swear infront of them and tell them their coffee is rotten,asking for proof is part of the deal, YOU find it offensive, not them, and if they do tough, it is a business contract between tradesman and customer, not a marriage or afternoon tea between 2 old friends:001_smile:

dean have you tried looking on the council mapping to see if the tree falls on one side of the boundary or not? Its not definitive, but it sometimes helps. Sorry re-readng this I'm not too clear, I put the sat image over the map, so the lines show through the trees on the aerial shot. Takes a bit of fiddling for my technophobic mind, but my son showed me how to do it.

Edited by Andy Collins

It's extremely rude to quiz them after they have just told you it IS their tree

No its not, i dont take there word for it if its not obvious, people lie. you don't have to be rude about it it's how you ask, i would rather loose the job than end up in the middle of a dispute. Have you never had a customer say theres no tpo on theses trees? do you take there word for it then? i DON'T if i had of done i would of been up in court a few times now, customers telling porkies! If they think im being rude tough, dont think they will stick up for me in court do you!

If its on a boundry i poit it out that it will be shared and go from there, im not on about sitting em down and holding them to ransom with a 200t, im talking about asking questions and checking the answers out, thats not disrespectful its finding fact from fiction.

Edited by Ian C

dean have you tried looking on the council mapping to see if the tree falls on one side of the boundary or not? Its not definitive, but it sometimes helps.

well said "its not DEFINITIVE, but it sometimes helps" this area of the law is a MINEFIELD & I have have worked with expert boundry dispute barristers & soliciters & even they loose hair over it.:thumbdown:

Edited by educated arborist
typo