My trees over hanging a nieghbours gas tanks??

drinksloe

Alright

Been a few threads about neighbours trees who pays etc.

Long story short i own a bit of woodland around my house, nothing fancy but mainly maure or semi mature hardwoods.

I share a boundry with a hotel, was down today patching some pot holes and having a blether with the handy man etc.

I had a wee wander round from where i was working and the hotels 2x 1000L LPG tanks and looked above there was some sycamore and a couple of ash growing out towards them.

The trees all look healthy, at moment ash die back has only just started up here, so no imminant threat yet.

But after these recent storms i've been looking at some of my trees in a new light and anything near a neighbour is getting  either felled or reduced/topped depending on species etc.

With this in mind i would say the 3 or 4 trees would be better gone, but they will be a pita even with a spider lift and any logs will be a nightmare to get out from there too, and be a good few ton.

I think i will likely own the trees, but not 100% i know in the past the previous owners had a boundry dispute with them over these tanks which went on for years as they thought they were on wot will be my ground now.

But on my title deeds it just says undefined, so not much good

Now for simplicity say i do own the trees, but there is no obvious defects health risks, so no real urgent reason to come down.

and i really don't care if they come down or not apart from the work involved 

Is it the sort of thing u could ask the hotel to pay for my time even just the sectioning down or felling??

I realise i'm asking them to pay for me to fell my own trees but its not benefitting me if they come down or stay up

As if i was the hotel i would not be wanting them growing like that so close to gas tanks.

Or is it just a case of swallow the extra work up myself? And be thankful i can do it myself.

The hotel are generally useless at ground maintanence, drains are never fixed and water often runs down the road until i fix it, they still have a great big broken beech top hung up on the main road too and never done owt with it yet.

And still have customers driving below it

I think i can remember other threads where neighbours have paid to cut down a neighbours tree to increase there light etc, but i take it it is just a casual agreement and no set rule if the neighbour is the 1 getting the benefit.

Cheers and i hope it makes sense

On 24/03/2022 at 08:06, dumper said:

Get them surveyed then do what the survey says 

Cheers dumper.

Althou not really wanting to pay for a survey, not even sure if any tree surveyors in this area.

Esp with the land there growing on possibly being debatable, i'd probably then need to pay for a land survey too.

For me was just being pro active and see if it was unreasonable to ask the hotel to pay for my time since there the benifactor, 

The trees are only going to get bigger and grow towards the light ( over the tanks) so the problem isn't going to go away only get worse, althou it may never actually cause any harm.

Must admit i would never have sited tanks under the trees in the 1st place should of felled them 1st and having a closer look yesterday the 1" pipe that connects the 2 tanks is not very sturdy at all and sits proud of the tanks, so any small mistake would likely bend/break it.

When I read this all I can think is, just sort the trees out yourself, they could have been done and dusted in the time you’ve spent working out how to weasel out of doing them or getting someone else to pay you to do your own trees.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

I can't see you getting any money out of the hotel, if they won't clear a hanger out of a tree above the customers then some branches that might one day do something are surely lower priority.

Also, would have thought hotel likely to have used up cash reserves due to last 2 years being short on customers.

• Like 3

On 25/03/2022 at 19:37, Mick Dempsey said:

When I read this all I can think is, just sort the trees out yourself, they could have been done and dusted in the time you’ve spent working out how to weasel out of doing them or getting someone else to pay you to do your own trees.

To be fair ur probably right. Just having a bit of a vent at them

But at moment and for the past 6 months or so sick of doing free work on hotel grounds ( shared drive) and getting no thanks or cash and esp so when there own FT live in groundsman who never bothers to help. Just when u drive past something everyday and never fixed u end up doing it yourself

Had a few mornings clearing the drive of windblow in past few months alone so they can get guests in for a wedding, which to be fair i don't mind that much its when u get u no help from them that irritates me far more

Just spent 1.5 days this week fixing potholes for them on they're ground as finally sick of driving over them and only a matter of time till someone breaks a spring, and even that 3hrs was fixing a blocked drain to get the water of the road that caused the damage in 1st place.

I used to get up early before work and snow plough the drive too but recently 

So while i am trying to get them to pay for work possibly to my own trees, i have done plenty for them in the past just trying to get a wee touch back, and it would only be my time anyway

Prob a good 2  hard days in them with the clear up single handed, just not got the time this year and esp when the ownership will be dubious. I did see they have burnt the bark of a sycamore that will be while just slightly further back, and still leaning towards the tanks and buildings.

Which does say a lot burning rubbish within 10ft of LPG tanks

I'm already taking a week off next month or so to proactively butcher a load of other healthy trees round 6 other nieghbours houses just to make sure no future danger/damage if anymore winds hit.

Just takes time catching up with 20-30 years of neglect, esp when houses scattered all throu the wood.

On 26/03/2022 at 10:42, Dan Maynard said:

I can't see you getting any money out of the hotel, if they won't clear a hanger out of a tree above the customers then some branches that might one day do something are surely lower priority.

Also, would have thought hotel likely to have used up cash reserves due to last 2 years being short on customers.

Meant to reply last night but got sidetracked, sorry.

Aye ur right on both fronts, althou its 1 of them exclusive 5* wedding venue jobs rather than a proper hotel and spent most of lock down being ripped apart by tradesmen to renovate it.

Right fancy inside, but do bugger all outside really ( althou to be fair not sure if that is policy or just their groundsman? ) and i'm still surprised they haven't tackled the big hanger when it is almost above the only road in.

Done plenty of jobs for local estates since the storms and they are closing footpaths for far less

But it was more a point of principle rather than a money thing, would only be looking for a few hundred quid really,

So not a lot for me or them but dragging logs and 2ft+ rings up a 45 degree banking would be just a little less soul destroying if u had some of ur time paid for.

Access is terrible and no easy way