It died

eggsarascal

I wouldn't buy a Ducato/Boxer/Relay.

Awful things, crap build quality, crap clutch pedal, crap to drive, awful design and ergonomics, flimsy, etc.

Go out to loads of them at work. 

What are the least bad vans in your opinion?

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

What are the least bad vans in your opinion?

My preference is Sprinters. I have a 2015 one now, and have had 2 before, and an original Crafter (Sprinter in drag) before that. Had a beautiful 2013 Sprinter 313, never a single issue with it. Joint second choice i'd have a newer Transit or Crafter. (Transit's probably better than a Crafter in price and base spec, but can feel a little flimsy.)

The newer Renault Masters decent vans, don't have too many of them with issues. They're actually a nice van to drive, but they do have a horrendous cruise liner-esque turning circle.

Wish i never sold this one:

20170425_193153.thumb.jpg.925ec14ed6e6db84658a1defafc65800.jpg

Current workhorse:

20210420_150559.thumb.jpg.aa167b51e6cf1e904252459d1655846f.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moose McAlpine said:

My preference is Sprinters. I have a 2015 one now, and have had 2 before, and an original Crafter (Sprinter in drag) before that. Had a beautiful 2013 Sprinter 313, never a single issue with it. Joint second choice i'd have a newer Transit or Crafter. (Transit's probably better than a Crafter in price and base spec, but can feel a little flimsy.)

The newer Renault Masters decent vans, don't have too many of them with issues. They're actually a nice van to drive, but they do have a horrendous cruise liner-esque turning circle.

Wish i never sold this one:

20170425_193153.thumb.jpg.925ec14ed6e6db84658a1defafc65800.jpg

Current workhorse:

20210420_150559.thumb.jpg.aa167b51e6cf1e904252459d1655846f.jpg

Would your answer be different for vans ten years older?

Just now, AHPP said:

Would your answer be different for vans ten years older?

Around 2006-2012 model year range? Sprinter or maybe a Crafter.

Not a fan of the older Transits in that range, done so many timing chains, injector pumps, rear hub seals, carrier bearings, fuel metering solenoids, etc on them to put me off wanting to own one. And they're very mediocre vans too. On the flipside, they did pay a lot of my wages for some time.

A big part for me is ease of working on them. Those Transits are very easy to work on, but you might be doing a lot of it. Sprinters are easy to work on, loads of space and access, nice to drive, spacious cab, good mirrors, etc.

(My brand loyalty lies with Sprinters, based purely on my own experience, both working on them and running them as my own business vehicles.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Around 2006-2012 model year range? Sprinter or maybe a Crafter.

Not a fan of the older Transits in that range, done so many timing chains, injector pumps, rear hub seals, carrier bearings, fuel metering solenoids, etc on them to put me off wanting to own one. And they're very mediocre vans too. On the flipside, they did pay a lot of my wages for some time.

A big part for me is ease of working on them. Those Transits are very easy to work on, but you might be doing a lot of it. Sprinters are easy to work on, loads of space and access, nice to drive, spacious cab, good mirrors, etc.

(My brand loyalty lies with Sprinters, based purely on my own experience, both working on them and running them as my own business vehicles.)

What do you think about Ivecos?

10 minutes ago, AHPP said:

What do you think about Ivecos?

Generally solid and reliable mechanically. Crap ugly interiors that wear out and fall apart just by looking at them, electrics go wrong endlessly, gear linkages wear out so finding a gear is like stirring soup, plastic fuel filter housings crack and leave you stranded, often problematic for OBD fault diagnosis. (Older ones use an odd specific plug, many diag machines won't communicate with them for some reason.)

I've been to more than a few with screwed ignition switches where they're bypassed with a toggle switch on the dash, and have had to run temporary wiring to head/tail lights when the module's failed to keep them mobile.

They're pretty torquey and have really good tow ratings though, and are decent-looking machines. Generally feel a bit cheap though.

My mate had a 6.5t one as a service van, packed full of kit. He loved it, and as the only person who ever used it kept it immaculate inside and out. He never had a bad thing to say about it, but it didn't do a huge amount of work.

Edited by Moose McAlpine

4 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Generally solid and reliable mechanically. Crap ugly interiors that wear out and fall apart just by looking at them, electrics go wrong endlessly, gear linkages wear out so finding a gear is like stirring soup, plastic fuel filter housings crack and leave you stranded, often problematic for OBD fault diagnosis. (Older ones use an odd specific plug, many diag machines won't communicate with them for some reason.)

They're pretty torquey and have really good tow ratings though, and are decent-looking machines. Generally feel a bit cheap though.

My mate had a 6.5t one as a service van, packed full of kit. He loved it, and as the only person who ever used it kept it immaculate inside and out. He never had a bad thing to say about it, but it didn't do a huge amount of work.

Are the 6.5 tonne ones 3.5 tonne ones with bigger springs and a bigger VIN plate like the 4.5 tonne Transits?

3 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Are the 6.5 tonne ones 3.5 tonne ones with bigger springs and a bigger VIN plate like the 4.5 tonne Transits?

I'm not sure if they have the same chassis, it may be a thicker/heavier duty one, but the Iveco is the only van with a body-on-chassis construction. (All others are unibody.) The 6.5/7.2s certainly have much heavier suspension and larger brakes and rear axles.

Mechanically the Ivecos are very reliable.

2 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

I'm not sure if they have the same chassis, it may be a thicker/heavier duty one, but the Iveco is the only van with a body-on-chassis construction. (All others are unibody.) The 6.5/7.2s certainly have much heavier suspension and larger brakes and rear axles.

Mechanically the Ivecos are very reliable.

What would you recommend for someone who can do mechanical things but isn't very good at electrics?