Risk assessments for tree survey work

Emma

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the impression none of the could read or write:001_tt2:

Jokes aside i assume thats why they have so many deaths per year as there not as safety wise as we are in europe.:thumbup:

They probably have more deaths because there is more of them doing it! the terrain etc is totaly different, etc etc,

i was asked to supply as well as risk a risk assesment a ' safe system of work' so i looked it up and found this on how to change a light bulb, so i forwarded it on asking if this is what they were after ( me thinking i'm taking the piss:huh:) but its just what they were after and can i prepair one for all opperations:cursing:

Work Activities Guidance - Safe Systems of Work

A safe system of work is the systematic examination of a task in order to identify all hazards. The aim is to produce a safe work method that will eliminate or reduce the risks associated with the identified hazards.

It is important to involve employees that carry out the work or with detailed knowledge of the activity, so that the system of work produced is effective and practical as well as safe. Involving employees with the process helps them to understand why this level of control has to be established and maintained.

The following steps should be taken when creating a safe system of work.

§ Task analysis

What is used, who does what, where the task is to be carried out, how the task is to be carried out, interactions with, and effect on, other employees.

§ Identification of hazards associated with the task

Consider each of the hazards to which people may be exposed as a result of the use of tools, substances, plant and other equipment.

§ Assessment of the risk involved

Assess the risks, which could arise from the task or activity.

§ Identification of existing methods of control and additional controls necessary

Consider whether existing control methods are adequate and being used as well as identifying additional controls required.

§ Definition of the safe methods of work

Having broken the task or activity down into its component parts, (preparation, authorisation, planning or job sequences), at each stage specify safe methods and document the work instructions.

§ Implementation of the working system / procedure

Implement the safe system of work, providing training for all affected employees and supervisory staff. Ensure training details are recorded on individual training records.

§ Regularly check and re-assess the activity if necessary to ensure that the system is operating effectively and the work instructions are being followed.

Make any necessary amendments to checklists.

Below is a simple example of a written safe system of work.

TITLE (CHANGING LIGHT BULB)

Task or Activity to be Covered

Changing light bulb in the main hall

Hazards

Electrical

Falls From Height

Burns

Falling Objects

Risks

Main risks are injury to worker through being exposed to electricity, handling hot light bulb and a risk of falling from the 10-foot high stepladders, which could also affect other workers.

Control Measures in Place

1. New stepladders used of good construction, with handhold, protected top platform and locking wheels.

2. Workers have received training on use of ladders/stepladders. Records kept.

Further Controls Needed

No procedures in place for isolation of electricity supply before removing light bulb. Need to implement isolation policy and procedure.

Training needs to be given on electrical hazard awareness.

Warning signs need to be erected to help prevent accidental impact with the stepladders

The Safe System of Work

1. Check stepladders are in good condition.

2. Clear a pathway in main hall through the tables and chairs to allow easy access of stepladders.

3. Push stepladders into position and ensure wheels are locked.

4. Place warning signs at entrance to main hall prohibiting other persons from entering whilst light bulb is being changed.

5. Isolate light fitting by turning off supply. Secure electric control panel to avoid unauthorised access.

6. Ascend stepladders with replacement light bulb holding onto the handrail.

7. Carefully test how hot old bulb is before grabbing hold. If cool gently push and twist bulb until it is released from light fitting. Replace with new bulb.

8. Descend stepladders holding onto handrail.

9. Reinstate electricity supply and check light is working.

10. Return stepladders to secure storage area.

11. Safely dispose of the old light bulb.

It would be funny if it wasn't so bloomin frutsrating and counter productive.

If someone doesn't have the intellectual ability to change a light bulb, are they really going to read and comprehend this?

You have to ask what the real point of all this excessive risk assessment documentation is, it can't seriously be about a reasonable approach to risk.:thumbdown:

7. Carefully test how hot old bulb is before grabbing hold. If cool gently push and twist bulb until it is released from light fitting. Replace with new bulb.

Disgusting:thumbdown:

Nothing mentioned whatsoever on how to test the temperature of the bulb:scared1:

I mean how are we supposed to know if you can test how hot or cold it is by using your willy.

God knows how many people end up in A&E every year with burns to there willy due to poorly written Risk assesments like these.:angry:

Disgusting:thumbdown:

Nothing mentioned whatsoever on how to test the temperature of the bulb:scared1:

I mean how are we supposed to know if you can test how hot or cold it is by using your willy.

God knows how many people end up in A&E every year with burns to there willy due to poorly written Risk assesments like these.:angry:

:lol:

I got the impression none of the could read or write:001_tt2:

Jokes aside i assume thats why they have so many deaths per year as there not as safety wise as we are in europe.:thumbup:

First episode of Axmen is on tonite in Sweden! Finally I can catchuo and see whats the fuzz is about....:001_huh: