Risk assessments for tree survey work

Emma

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John thanks for the welcome:biggrin:

I need to write a risk assessment to cover a member of staff carrying out a tree survey on site. Is it possible to have a general one for all sites or do I need an individual one for each site which would be a daunting amount of paper work!

I would suggest a generic RA should be able to cover most hazards - the biggest being lone working. I'd only produces a site specific RA if there was some specific about the site! For example cliffs / old industrial sites / unexploded ordnance / ninjas etc. :D

Ninjas! lol tony has a sense of humour too!:lol:

As Tony said, I think you could get away with a generic risk assessment as long as lone-working is specifically covered, i.e. make sure they have a mobile phone, you are aware of the location and they ring in/call you at given times throughout the day. It’s worth making sure they have the correct Hi-Viz as well (an approved vest is ok in a 30mph zone doing highway trees, anything above will require long sleeves).

Obviously this would be for ground based surveys only, climbing inspections would be a whole different ball-game. :001_smile:

as long as lone-working is specifically covered, i.e. make sure they have a mobile phone, you are aware of the location and they ring in/call you at given times throughout the day.

Maybe lone workers in woodland should also be equipped with a tracker in case they get injured, lost and buried under falling leaves.

BCA Tracker DTS from Facewest.co.uk

Can anyone help me with a risk assessment for tree survey work. I have managed to do the office side of things but I'm struggling to find any information on doing a general risk assessment that will cover any site. Any ideas?

Strangely enough, this subject has been floating round the UKTC forum lately.

I think that the order of the day, as everyone else has already mentioned, is that the biggest issue to cover would be "Lone Working".

If you PM me off forum, i should be able to help you out with a few relevant docs.