Advice for listing my tip site

Studley Bottom Woods

Hi

I'm new to using ArbTalk and would like some advice on how to best list on TipSites.

We have land in Wanstrow (Somerset) and will be planting 10,000+ trees in 2022 and want to use woodchip as mulch as much as possible.  I'd therefore like to list on TipSite to start collecting it. However, I want to understand, from an Arb point of view, how the site works.

If I list a new site, will regular users of free dumping sites even notice my new advert? Do most of you know where you can dump chip for free and then never use it again? 

Also if you do regularly check it, how do I make my advert stand out? There looks like an option to offer to pay you to drop. Do any of you use that to search for sites? If so, what price would attract you to dump at my site than the one you usually use?

Many thanks

Pete

6 hours ago, Studley Bottom Woods said:

Hi

I'm new to using ArbTalk and would like some advice on how to best list on TipSites.

We have land in Wanstrow (Somerset) and will be planting 10,000+ trees in 2022 and want to use woodchip as mulch as much as possible.  I'd therefore like to list on TipSite to start collecting it. However, I want to understand, from an Arb point of view, how the site works.

If I list a new site, will regular users of free dumping sites even notice my new advert? Do most of you know where you can dump chip for free and then never use it again? 

Also if you do regularly check it, how do I make my advert stand out? There looks like an option to offer to pay you to drop. Do any of you use that to search for sites? If so, what price would attract you to dump at my site than the one you usually use?

Many thanks

Pete

list yourself in the  ( click on this ) tip site directory

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

I wrote an article here with a few tips 

FREEWOODCHIPS.CO.UK

Find out how to get wood chips from tree surgeons for free using the Arbtalk tip site directory. Register for free today.

Steve - that is a really useful guide. Thank you very much. I will follow that advice and ensure I give enough detail of the tipping site for example.  I'm still left wondering what to offer per load/ per m3. Though I must admit I can see that the idea of offering a crate of beer per load is an appealing alternative to cash!

Also when I tried to use the search sites map, I could not easily see a way to filter it to just show tipsites that paid - hence my comments on whether this was worth doing, ie would anyone ever see my listing? I'm personally struggling with the website usability. Am I missing something? 

My other genuine question was whether tree surgeons bother to use it still, ie once they know places to dump chips. Why do they go back and look for new places?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Studley Bottom Woods said:

Steve - that is a really useful guide. Thank you very much. I will follow that advice and ensure I give enough detail of the tipping site for example.  I'm still left wondering what to offer per load/ per m3. Though I must admit I can see that the idea of offering a crate of beer per load is an appealing alternative to cash!

Also when I tried to use the search sites map, I could not easily see a way to filter it to just show tipsites that paid - hence my comments on whether this was worth doing, ie would anyone ever see my listing? I'm personally struggling with the website usability. Am I missing something? 

My other genuine question was whether tree surgeons bother to use it still, ie once they know places to dump chips. Why do they go back and look for new places?

Thanks

I’m actually in the middle of a lot of upgrades to the directory. Soon each category of tip site will have its own unique map marker and key so people browsing will see immediately what sites pay without having to click through to the listing. These will obviously get the first clicks if they are close enough.

with regards how much sites are used. There are a vast amount of sites with different requirements. Some are simple homeowners who can only make use of one load a year, whereas others might be able to take an unlimited amount. In other words its dynamic. There’s new sites added daily and existing sites no longer in need of chips. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I’m actually in the middle of a lot of upgrades to the directory. Soon each category of tip site will have its own unique map marker and key so people browsing will see immediately what sites pay without having to click through to the listing. These will obviously get the first clicks if they are close enough.

with regards how much sites are used. There are a vast amount of sites with different requirements. Some are simple homeowners who can only make use of one load a year, whereas others might be able to take an unlimited amount. In other words its dynamic. There’s new sites added daily and existing sites no longer in need of chips. 

That is great to hear. Any idea of when the new upgrade may go live?  (If you need a users tester, contact me - i used to do usability testing as a job!)

Your second point raises another issue. I wonder what system you might use to remove old listings from people who just wanted the odd load at some point in the past?  Might it be useful to add a field on 'when required until' to help reduce them in future? I'm guessing it might be frustrating for tree surgeons wading through out of date listings potentially.

Regards

Pete

1 minute ago, Steve Bullman said:

Up till now I’ve just relied on people removing their own listing, or users reporting sites that aren’t accepting any. Have had very few complaints so far.

time, unlikely to be this side of Christmas. It’s a complete site upgrade with the tip site directory being an important, but small part of 

Quite understand. It is a great resource.