2511 cold start issue

stewmo

What oil are you running it on. Are you using the primer before cold starting it?

Don't go fiddling with the carb settings, if it's running fine the rest of the time it's unlikely to be the issue and you can bugger up a perfectly good saw if you don't know what you're playing with. 

Mine runs faultless on hp Rd or hp super, but runs like a bag of shit on hp ultra.

Worth checking/changing the spark plug for good measure. That should give a good indication of the carb settings too.

Thanks Jo. I agree, the last thing I want to do is fiddle, it’s a slippery slope to disaster. Imo it runs well once fired. But I also bow to greater wisdom of service mechanics regarding the lean running.

I’m using husky xp but done that for at least a year now and this is a recent thing. Plug is a good shout.

• 5 months later...

I can tell you exactly what the problem is...

You put the choke on, you grab hold of the saw, and, as you accidently touched the throttle, you just turned the choke off again..

1. Put the choke on..

2, Grab hold of the saw BY THE SIDE HANDLE.

3, Pull string till it fires ONCE.. [usually first pull]

4, Flick choke lever off.. [STILL HOLDING SAW BY SIDE HANDLE]

5, Pull string, Saw will start first pull and be on fast idle. NOW touch throttle and mechanism disengages and saw runs at normal idle speed..

Try it and see!!!

john..

On 13/11/2021 at 11:42, stewmo said:

Thanks Jo. I agree, the last thing I want to do is fiddle, it’s a slippery slope to disaster. Imo it runs well once fired. But I also bow to greater wisdom of service mechanics regarding the lean running.

I’m using husky xp but done that for at least a year now and this is a recent thing. Plug is a good shout.

The other thing that I've noticed people struggle with is the air filters get clogged super easy. A lot of guys I know struggle with running issues because they're just brushing off the physical dust, but oily residue clogs fine mesh filters better than sawdust.

Do you clean the air filter out regularly with an airline? If not buy yourself a couple of tins of carb cleaner to spray on it. Watch the oil dissolve. It's nasty stuff so you know it works, just watch your eyes. 

16 minutes ago, john87 said:

I can tell you exactly what the problem is...

You put the choke on, you grab hold of the saw, and, as you accidently touched the throttle, you just turned the choke off again..

1. Put the choke on..

2, Grab hold of the saw BY THE SIDE HANDLE.

3, Pull string till it fires ONCE.. [usually first pull]

4, Flick choke lever off.. [STILL HOLDING SAW BY SIDE HANDLE]

5, Pull string, Saw will start first pull and be on fast idle. NOW touch throttle and mechanism disengages and saw runs at normal idle speed..

Try it and see!!!

john..

🤣 it's a great learning curve when you're finding out about how saws work!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

The other thing that I've noticed people struggle with is the air filters get clogged super easy. A lot of guys I know struggle with running issues because they're just brushing off the physical dust, but oily residue clogs fine mesh filters better than sawdust.

Do you clean the air filter out regularly with an airline? If not buy yourself a couple of tins of carb cleaner to spray on it. Watch the oil dissolve. It's nasty stuff so you know it works, just watch your eyes. 

🤣 it's a great learning curve when you're finding out about how saws work!

When i clean my air filter, bugger compressed air or brushes, i think that will just damage it. I just take it off and wash it gently in hot water with washing up liquid. Carb cleaner as you say is a great idea too!! Never thought of that!!

john,,