New type Stihl oil caps

porky

:sneaky2:

Intellect yes, but pressured tree bashing doesn't allow time for finessing with precision fuel caps. Simple is best imo. :001_smile:

I don't have time to fanny around getting combi spanners, with the simple new caps you only need your fingers and a modicum of intellect:001_smile:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the "new" caps, yes sometimes the oil cap dosnt close properly, but its easy enough to giggle around and make fit.

Much prefere it to the old caps, saves faffing around with a combi spanner and putting a hole in the cap from "excessive combi spanner usuage"

I love this thread, glad it still has some miles in it.

I mentioned the thread to a climber friend of mine, he's an old dog who knows a few tricks, and he made this point too. combi spanner hole in cap etc.

So good point, but I will go to my grave hateing the new (or as pointed out 10 yr old) cap.

My problem is that no matter how much I develop a technique, I forget to use said technique, assume its on then it isn't.

I've found that they only really give you trouble when a load of stuff gets caught under the cap then it can be a bummer, one time I was filling the climber's saw up and thought i had screwed it in correctly but when he pulled the saw up the fuel went everywhere he weren't a happy bunny! I'm also double checking now..

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I can make out a lot of these caps are outright faulty. Two parts of the cap come unstuck from each other and twist around in a way they shouldn't and then you can't screw them in properly until you fiddle around with them to re-align the bits correctly.

I assume the people who like the caps just haven't had this happen to their caps yet :P

I'm sick of fiddling around with them for ages with cold fingers, and the other day I spilled a tankful because I didn't notice it wasn't on right. IMO if they are faulty caps then Stihl should replace every goddamn one of them with an improved cap for free.

The new caps are ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The oil cap has a small rectangle cut out of it, there is a corresponding rectangle cut out of the fill hole, just line up the two cut outs, push down firmly and turn, Simples!!!

I think these caps are a good indicator of intellect, I have had groundies who really struggled to do them and to be honest the weren't much good at owt!!

The ones who got the caps straight off were better all round!!!

I would like a new 66 but won't buy one till they come with new caps.

Well the idea is OK, but the implementation is C**P!

Firstly, as many has pointed out, the oil cap is difficult to fit when...

1. filled to the brim - and with the automatic shut-off caps of the stihl combi-canister, that often happens.

2. Sawdust and other gunk has accumulated on the cap and its surroundings.

Secondly, for reasons only known to Stihl, they have chosen to make the rotational position different between all models of their saws, and also between oil- and petrol caps. That is just downright idiocy! Why on earth not have chosen a consistent insertion-angle for both caps on ALL stihl saw models.

Yes, they have put tiny markings on caps and saw-body to indicate the right angle, but in bad lighting, and with accumulated gung and a non-20-20 eyesight, that is no help at all. There is NO EXCUSE for the inconsistent angles!

Have a look at the different angles of these caps:

MS 200T:

OMS0024.JPG

MS 260:

p_101297565.jpg

MS 361: (this is really bad!)

MS-361.jpg1235828216

MS 440: (as bad as the 361)

65113305-stihl-ms-440-kettingzaag-in-uitstekende-staat.jpg

I guess the German design engineer, when deciding on the rotation angle for a cap, threw two dice, multiplicated the two numbers (1-6), and multiplied the result by 10, thereby coming up with a random figure between 20 and 360 :-D

Edited by morten

1. filled to the brim - and with the automatic shut-off caps of the stihl combi-canister, that often happens.

Secondly, for reasons only known to Stihl, they have chosen to make the rotational position different between all models of their saws, and also between oil- and petrol caps. That is just downright idiocy! Why on earth not have chosen a consistent insertion-angle for both caps on ALL stihl saw models.

Yes, they have put tiny markings on caps and saw-body to indicate the right angle, but in bad lighting, and with accumulated gung and a non-20-20 eyesight, that is no help at all. There is NO EXCUSE for the inconsistent angles!

MS 200T:

OMS0024.JPG

MS 260:

p_101297565.jpg

MS-361.jpg1235828216

I guess the German design engineer, when deciding on the rotation angle for a cap, threw two dice, multiplicated the two numbers (1-6), and multiplied the result by 10, thereby coming up with a random figure between 20 and 360

In your pic's the top 2 are the same as each other, the next 2 just have the oil caps different to the other 2, but the same as each other, hardly a massive difference.

I have had NO problem with these caps at all and love them!!!!!!!!!

Edited by skyhuck

MS 200T:

OMS0024.JPG

MS 260:

p_101297565.jpg

MS-361.jpg1235828216

I guess the German design engineer, when deciding on the rotation angle for a cap, threw two dice, multiplicated the two numbers (1-6), and multiplied the result by 10, thereby coming up with a random figure between 20 and 360 :-D

Most of us on here climb, or fell trees on a daily basis, this is much more mentally challenging than closing the cap on a stihl saw, surley?

I honestly dont see the problem with these caps, there great!

As far as I can make out a lot of these caps are outright faulty. Two parts of the cap come unstuck from each other and twist around in a way they shouldn't and then you can't screw them in properly until you fiddle around with them to re-align the bits correctly.

I assume the people who like the caps just haven't had this happen to their caps yet :P

I'm sick of fiddling around with them for ages with cold fingers, and the other day I spilled a tankful because I didn't notice it wasn't on right. IMO if they are faulty caps then Stihl should replace every goddamn one of them with an improved cap for free.

If you don't locate the cap correctly and turn it, you will then have to turn the cap back to its original position before trying to locate it correctly again.

I am truly amazed that some people cannot use these simple caps.