COP26

kevinjohnsonmbe

28 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

So we either depopulate or we get used to everything being taxed out of our price range. Meat and international travel for those that can afford it, the elite. And we’ll lap it up it’s “saving” the environment.

Well, there's a very simple solution to that. Violent and thorough redistribution of wealth. Anyone with a yacht big enough to fit one of their smaller yachts inside it should have neither.

Just now, peds said:

Well, there's a very simple solution to that. Violent and thorough redistribution of wealth. Anyone with a yacht big enough to fit one of their smaller yachts inside it should have neither.

Nice dream, but that’s all it is. The rich keep getting richer and the average Joe’s and getting drastically poorer. Redistribution of wealth would solve nothing anyway. The only solution is to vastly drop the global population. Another option worth a shot, but I feel ultimately pointless is tax the top 100 companies that produce 70% of the worlds pollution into addressing their ways. Which would result in us living in a world more akin to the dark ages. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Nothing to do with us though. All a conspiracy to tax us more etc.

Not so much a ‘conspiracy’ rather a reflection on the obvious reality. 

Economic ‘health’ is measured by GDP, GDP is generated through economic activity, you need population growth to sustain economic growth. 

The problem is the apparent unwillingness of just about everyone to acknowledge that GDP is the root of the problem rather than the solution. 

So it’s not so much a conspiracy theory based upon tax - tax is just a byproduct of GDP. 

Consumption is the symptom, population the cause and GDP is a flawed measure of success. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, peds said:

Is that the bench mark for wealth redistribution then?

Yacht owners?  But only big yacht owners?

Whats the £s figure tripline then?

If you own a yacht over 2mil?

What about someone with 150mil personal wealth but no yacht?

Leave them be?

And then we have to think about who goes on the list for deportation to sub Saharan Africa?

I think you said anyone that is still swimming against the tide...

Who’s writing the tide tables then?

What happens if your tide tables are different to mine?

Everyone who toes your line is OK and anyone that doesn’t is on the boat?

Isnt that a bit tyrannical and an affront to just about every established civilised norm?

If only we all just thought the same eh....

Hey wait! North Korea, “People’s Democratic Republic” (oh the irony) of China....  Is that the model you are espousing?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

The only solution is to vastly drop the global population. 

I totally agree. Luckily, the planet feels the same way, and will be taking measures accordingly. It's just a shame that mankind couldn't cop on and try to help out before it became inevitable.

• Like 2

My take on all this is rather simple.
Growing up in the 70s and 80s you got milk in glass bottles which the milk man collected (in his electric cart) and sent for recycling , we got pop in glass bottles which if you returned to the shop for recycling, you got 10p. If you went to the butchers, your meat was wrapped in paper. When you went to the chippy, you got your chips wrapped in yesterday's paper.
My point is, back then we were being more efficient at recycling without realising it. But then clowns in high places etc started outlawing these practices which in turn has caused all the problems regarding waste plastic etc. So why cant we just turn the clock back and go back to what worked then.
But people also have to change their mindset, they don't need a new phone or car every 12 months, school parents don't need to drive their children to school 500 yards away in their Chelsea tractors, what about actually walking them to school.
I could go on but you get my gist.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, peds said:

I totally agree. Luckily, the planet feels the same way, and will be taking measures accordingly. It's just a shame that mankind couldn't cop on and try to help out before it became inevitable.

I don’t mean any offence to anyone that might have gone through fertility treatment here - but how is it even possible to publicly fund medical intervention to increase population when most reasonable folk recognise over population as a problem.

Similarly, the whole Catholic Church anti contraception stance thing which I think was mentioned earlier. But that is actually a good example (of the bad practice) of birth rate being weaponised as a means to retain and increase organisational power and influence. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, peds said:

Not in our lifetime unfortunately. I’ll start taking this climate change seriously when the likes of Obama and Zuckerberg stops spending millions if not billions on beach front properties and at the same time telling us the sea levels are on the rise. And when they stop flying around the world in private jets to the opening of an envelope and having swinging dick competitions with Yachts. Climate change has never been about saving the planet and only ever about the rich and powerful getting more rich and powerful. 

Im off out to burn my old Polytunnel cover with burst oil in protest. I could do this daily for the rest of my life and still cause less pollution than these sanctimonious cants. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t mean any offence to anyone that might have gone through fertility treatment here - but how is it even possible to publicly fund medical intervention to increase population when most reasonable folk recognise over population as a problem.

Similarly, the whole Catholic Church anti contraception stance thing which I think was mentioned earlier. But that is actually a good example (of the bad practice) of birth rate being weaponised as a means to retain and increase organisational power and influence. 

I think the only countries that take any active notice of what the Catholic Church demands are countries that actually need what they demand implemented. 🤣
  • Like 1