Stein rigging tension pulley worth the cost?

Ian Flatters

Watching a video on youtube the other day about the Fletcher Stewart

and was wondering would you buy it or just use a different way to tension i.e with friction cord and a petzl pulley? At £55 its kind of got me thinking yay or nay if i would buy one in the future.

Your thoughts? :thumbup:

Edited by Ian Flatters

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet, but I have used the lowering device and I can see how it would work really well. You could use a swing cheek pulley, but the spare cheek would flop around and get in the way.

£55 for a specially designed piece of kit isnt too much to ask imo.

Watching a video on youtube the other day about the Fletcher Stewart

and was wondering would you buy it or just use a different way to tension i.e with friction cord and a petzl pulley? At £55 its kind of got me thinking yay or nay if i would buy one in the future.

Your thoughts? :thumbup:

Target trees. The 3100 pulley obviously took shape to be user friendly in both set-up and application. I used the same method that you described with just a cord and regular pulley in first trialling the technique itself. The end result was exactly the same, but it required an extra link (Karabiner) and the cheek on the pulley really needed to be closed as it wasn’t designed to be loaded in such way....as well as keeping the rope which would occasionally flip over the edge of the wheel as it neared the Lowering device…. subsequently resulting in people falling on their arses.

While the above considerations were not huge problems, it still made for an otherwise flawed technique. That said, the 3100 pulley doesn’t require a Karabiner and the gully is cut extra deep to keep the rope in position (see photo). Little things sometimes make a big difference, especially if you’re the sole grounds person.

I recently received some feedback from a guy in the US who works for Bartlets. I know I shouldn’t duplicate the email without his permission but I’ll take a chance that he won’t be too mad at me upon finding out. The pulley is manufactured at ISC Wales and will take a rope upto 19mm diam. Best of luck mate, whatever you decide.

Reg,

FYI, I have been using the pre-tension pulley almost daily. It is one of the best tools I've seen come out in a long time. There are a lot of tools coming out that look really cool and work, but they are usually cost more than they benefit. Your pulley is great for lifting small limbs, putting extra tension on the rope for swinging and false crotching. I didn't like using a Prusik chord to attach it to the rope, so I use a 3/4" Gibbs ascender. Please let me know when they will be available to purchase in the US or the UK. Thanks for everything.

Jim Ackerman

Division 12 Safety & Training Coordinator

ISA Certified Arborist

CTSP

Bartlett Tree Experts

5976555f5b4e4_pulley3100003.jpg.4ee85fc523aeb32c96bba62e37cda8e0.jpg

i like the idea of using an ascender instead of a prussik reg........makes it even easier for a groundy with no knot tying experience to use straight off the bat. i have one of these on order to compliment my rc3001 :)

I can appreciate that Steve. The prussik is just starting point really, the cheapest option. Folks can always better/fine-tune things to their on preferences there after.

i like the idea of using an ascender instead of a prussik reg........makes it even easier for a groundy with no knot tying experience to use straight off the bat. i have one of these on order to compliment my rc3001 :)

straight off the bat ???? Do you mean cricket bat? that just doesn't work in English steve!