Fancy milling some timber for fun as I hate just chopping firewood

T.N

Hi gents, I have a 3120xp with a 50" bar or more (haven't measured it) 

What mill would I be best getting, I'd be happy to buy one second hand or new for ££ 

Just wondering what everyone else is using. I have a small alaskan one and a vertical mill but they are basically toys and not worth using plus they are both missing a part a piece so never got around to seeing them up. I want to start making slab furniture just for fun as I have a furniture making background so the making is easy for me but the be able to produce the timber is something I've never done. 

Any advice welcome. 

Regards 

7 minutes ago, T.N said:

Hi gents, I have a 3120xp with a 50" bar or more (haven't measured it) 

What mill would I be best getting, I'd be happy to buy one second hand or new for ££ 

Just wondering what everyone else is using. I have a small alaskan one and a vertical mill but they are basically toys and not worth using plus they are both missing a part a piece so never got around to seeing them up. I want to start making slab furniture just for fun as I have a furniture making background so the making is easy for me but the be able to produce the timber is something I've never done. 

Any advice welcome. 

Regards 

Only 1 place to go for that would be Rod D chainsaw bars but what is your budget ?

Ecomill NEW 48″[122cm] Ecomill Chainsaw Mill

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, T.N said:

I did look at that mill earlier. I don't have a budget tbh. But couldn't go more than 1k all in for a complete set up, but if my fiance found out I'm dead ha 

Regards 

Are you a man or a mouse and mouses do not cut it as a miller ask trigger andy 🤣 He has a big supply of cheddar cheese on tap 🤪

I did look at that mill earlier. I don't have a budget tbh. But couldn't go more than 1k all in for a complete set up, but if my fiance found out I'm dead ha 
Regards 

Seems an odd thread to start. You want to get into Alaskan milling, you have a 120cc saw and the bar but don’t have the budget for a £200 Alaskan Mill?

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Seems an odd thread to start. You want to get into Alaskan milling, you have a 120cc saw and the bar but don’t have the budget for a £200 Alaskan Mill?

More than likely an old thread but new to me. 

I stated I've got a grand (£1000) to buy a mill, was just seeing what advice was about for a start up. I have the saw and bar correct. Unlimited supply of timber from work, seemed a good idea to make some boards and expand what I can offer to customers

Regards 

3 minutes ago, T.N said:

More than likely an old thread but new to me. 

I stated I've got a grand (£1000) to buy a mill, was just seeing what advice was about for a start up. I have the saw and bar correct. Unlimited supply of timber from work, seemed a good idea to make some boards and expand what I can offer to customers

Regards 

13 hours ago, T.N said:

I did look at that mill earlier. I don't have a budget tbh. 

Edited by trigger_andy

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

For £1k you’ll get a Panther, a far better built tool.

I really liked my Chillaskan though and did me for years. 

You have cash to spare to get a first cut system and a couple of chains. 

Apologies, what I ment by no budget is it doesn't really matter the cost as its an investment of sorts. 

Ye I believe panther is the way to go for large stuff hut I'll look at the one you have just suggested. I'll be cutting boards on the medium scale to appeal to fine furniture makers, mainly friends in all honesty for no, and the general rule of thumb for drying these slabs is a year per inch so wouldnt be selling anything for a while. 

Appreciate the advice and I'll look into it. Where abouts are you based Andy maybe I could come check out your setup

Regards 

Apologies, what I ment by no budget is it doesn't really matter the cost as its an investment of sorts. 
Ye I believe panther is the way to go for large stuff hut I'll look at the one you have just suggested. I'll be cutting boards on the medium scale to appeal to fine furniture makers, mainly friends in all honesty for no, and the general rule of thumb for drying these slabs is a year per inch so wouldnt be selling anything for a while. 
Appreciate the advice and I'll look into it. Where abouts are you based Andy maybe I could come check out your setup
Regards 

I found that with my missus forgiveness is easier to get than approval. 🤪

Another set-up to look at is the Logosol M7, M8 or the newer F2. I think you can mill upto 30” on them? Bit easier on the back as well.

I’d only really go for the Alaskan type set-up if I was milling in customers gardens and field/Forrest logs I’ve bought. If at your own place a Logosol would be ideal.

Then after a year you’ll want to upgrade to a Bandsaw. 🤣

I’m based in the North East of Scotland. You’re very welcome to pop over and have a look.