Jump to content
dancoward86

Roadside price of English oak?

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm currently on a PAWS job whereby I've had to thin a number of oak. I was just wondering if someone could give me a rough price 'over bark' per tonne. I've been offered £150 a tonne delivered locally and feel that this is on the low side for plank wood. The trunks vary in diameter from roughly 18" to 36" and are as straight as an arrow. Sizes range from 3m to 6m. From a general inspection they vary in grade and some contain shakes. Any advice welcome

20210520_101408.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dancoward86 said:

Hi, I'm currently on a PAWS job whereby I've had to thin a number of oak. I was just wondering if someone could give me a rough price 'over bark' per tonne. I've been offered £150 a tonne delivered locally and feel that this is on the low side for plank wood. The trunks vary in diameter from roughly 18" to 36" and are as straight as an arrow. Sizes range from 3m to 6m. From a general inspection they vary in grade and some contain shakes. Any advice welcome

20210520_101408.jpg

All depends on the grade.  You say they are planking quality but also contain shakes.  Shakes can mean an otherwise good log is just firewood.  Can you be more specific?

 

The photo shows a couple of decent looking logs possibly, though one looks knotty and another a bit too small diameter.  If the quality is mixed, and given this is the wrong time of year for felling Oak for milling I would say £150 per ton delivered is a fair price.  My last batch was £130 per ton delivered, and was pretty mixed.

 

If on the other hand they are mainly top quality logs, then yes that is too cheap.  What you need to look for are shakes, rotten knots, too many knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dancoward86 said:

Hi, I'm currently on a PAWS job whereby I've had to thin a number of oak. I was just wondering if someone could give me a rough price 'over bark' per tonne. I've been offered £150 a tonne delivered locally and feel that this is on the low side for plank wood. The trunks vary in diameter from roughly 18" to 36" and are as straight as an arrow. Sizes range from 3m to 6m. From a general inspection they vary in grade and some contain shakes. Any advice welcome

20210520_101408.jpg

The wider ones will be the best for milling but smaller ones firewood grade i would say. Price offered seems reasonable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grade them out, good milling and fencing then one shit log does not make good milling timber look shit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback. My intentions were to sell the first few loads roadside until I've made enough to buy myself a sawmill. I've got an alaskan on the way so was gonna mill some beams and mantles too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dancoward86 said:

Thanks for the feedback. My intentions were to sell the first few loads roadside until I've made enough to buy myself a sawmill. I've got an alaskan on the way so was gonna mill some beams and mantles too

What area are you dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

All depends on the grade.  You say they are planking quality but also contain shakes.  Shakes can mean an otherwise good log is just firewood.  Can you be more specific?

 

The photo shows a couple of decent looking logs possibly, though one looks knotty and another a bit too small diameter.  If the quality is mixed, and given this is the wrong time of year for felling Oak for milling I would say £150 per ton delivered is a fair price.  My last batch was £130 per ton delivered, and was pretty mixed.

 

If on the other hand they are mainly top quality logs, then yes that is too cheap.  What you need to look for are shakes, rotten knots, too many knots.

By planking quality I mean straight as an arrow. Some of the lengths have minor shakes, some are 4-5m with no knots or shakes. Quite a mixed bunch really so was just after a round about price. I totally understand that the buyer has a lot of work to do so was just seeing if £150/ t was a reasonable offer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dancoward86 said:

By planking quality I mean straight as an arrow. Some of the lengths have minor shakes, some are 4-5m with no knots or shakes. Quite a mixed bunch really so was just after a round about price. I totally understand that the buyer has a lot of work to do so was just seeing if £150/ t was a reasonable offer

It looks to me from the pics and video as if they are decent quality, but a bit small.  Are they about a foot diameter mainly?

 

To get the top price I would say you need larger diameter stems.  £150 per ton delivered seems a fair price, based on the limited information I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.