Submerging ur new saw in peat soup!! How to dry??

drinksloe

Alright folks.

Had 1 of those days, just a bloody nightmare, wind all wrong and when u go with the wind ( against the weight/lean) it bloody drops to nothing.

Glad no swear box at work as been a power of swearing today, not helped by heat.

To finally cap the day off I ended up swimming in the peat soup that is the extraction track.

Absolute belter, bit of brash up lace as I was tettering in middle ridge of 2 deep puddles.

Full on face splat right down the shallow rut face completely under soup, saw fully submerged as was combi can, could only see tiny bit of spout sticking out.

Was a full on sas reality show type press up with heavy rucksack on my back.

Could off been worse, could off happened on way in n morning.

Jut a shame not caught on video as would definately have won some money, an absolute classic.

Wot do I need to do before I start saw tomorrow??

Wasnae running so shouldn't have done any damage yet.

It's lying men the now drying off, got air filter off and washed it worked was well choked up with peat but looked dry inside ( althou only had a quick look)

Could easily be crap/water in exhaust.

Exhaust off? Or just plug out and pull it when upside down?

And took the bar/chain off and just full of peat couldn't even make out where sprocket was.

Still to take starter side off but it will be chooks too.

That fine peat will just be like grinding paste in both sides, word best way to clean them?

Paint brush with some water or even a light power wash both sides ( making sure no where need carb or exhaust)

To be honest.at moment might give that saw a day off tomorrow as only a few months old.

Ps it's a ms462 if that makes a difference

4 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Not the best photos off saw, could hardly see phone screen for sun, and not in mood to f@nny about.

20210527_152912.jpg

20210527_152857.jpg

Couple years back i dropped my 550xp (running)in a river about 9ft deep,fished it out took carb off and cleaned it out,plug out and pulled it over loads of times upside down,left it upside down all night,put it back together next morning and it started after a few pulls and smoked a bit,and i,m still using the same saw at the minute,good luck with it

Ur doing well ur 550 still running years later even without the swim.

It might have helped it!!

More office about the peaty slime as it's so fine just gets everywhere and act like a fine grinding paste.

Had to pour a load of sludge out from behind starter.

Just away up with a paint brush and water might be easier before it dries.

Think I'll leave at home the morro too new a saw to damage and give it a right proper clean out over wknd.

If anyone has any good ideas to clean.

Must admit  the saw looks old quick, that peaty water has coloured all the panels now, while I'm not too bothered how a saw looks as long as it runs but bloody hell it's looking ruff in the last 4 hours.

Drain the fuel and oil, pull the plug, turn it upside down and pull it over lots of times, make sure the muffler has no water in it, refuel it and get the fecker running as quickly as possible as the water will rust all the bearings very quickly. 

Time is of the essence,  get it going fast - try the redneck holding the throttle open and pulling with the left hand if it won't go. 

Run it until hot and allow to let the heat drive any moisture off.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Drain the fuel and oil, pull the plug, turn it upside down and pull it over lots of times, make sure the muffler has no water in it, refuel it and get the fecker running as quickly as possible as the water will rust all the bearings very quickly. 

Time is of the essence,  get it going fast - try the redneck holding the throttle open and pulling with the left hand if it won't go. 

Run it until hot and allow to let the heat drive any moisture off.

Do you make love to a chainsaw spud ☺️ Great advise again

Well been out, had to drive to wood at bottom off road, for all I'm in the sticks still got some nieghbours, with young kids, so a bit late by time Igor it together.

Aye well it's going, I'd say going well done half a fill with no problems.

When pull g it with plug out u could fair feel and hear the peat scratching on the fly wheel.

I'll probably take the clutch off on sat sold it be worth taking fly wheel off too?

Or will the peat just dry out with the heat from working it and fall off?

By hell for a 3 month old saw it looks bloody terrible now, got saws 4 and 5 year old that done a lot of work look tidier.

Cheers again spud, top man

• Like 1