plastic degradation

openspaceman

Cleaning my Husky 262 today with the air gun the collar around the manifold, separating the carburettor space from the cylinder broke. This is the second one I have broken on old 262s (I have 3 dating from the 90s left over from when I employed assistants). Now I can't complain as the saw is 30 years old but the rest of the plastic is sound, just this collar snaps like a milky bar. So it's something to be aware of, part 503 54 42 01 is available and two ordered from L&S as I shall replace the other one for just 15 quid. I am surprised that while it still looks sound it has become so weak and wonder what the plastic is and why it deteriorates so badly.

We had a bit of a competition on a site last month with this 262 up against a 550mk2, cutting 9" hardwood, sweet chestnut IIRC, 262 won first, almost a dead heat second and the 550 won by a fair margin on last because I chose to cut through a knot. I was surprised as I expected the 550 to walk it. Mind I'd still prefer to carry the 550 about all day.

2 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Seen one or two of these manifolds crack, probably the heat and perhaps done up too tight on the carb mounting screws.

It's not the manifold it's the collar that slips over it and is held in place bur locating on the crank case. So it has not been strained in any way, it looks perfect but it snaps very, very easily. It doesn't touch any hot metal but is only cms away from the cylinder. It has definitely deteriorated in strength.

1 minute ago, spudulike said:

Seen that part crack and fall apart as well. The 262 is an old machine, it happens!

Just thought I would slip this in ....The 262 is a legend along with the 254 and 242 🙂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

Just thought I would slip this in ....The 262 is a legend along with the 254 and 242 🙂

Yep I still have a 254 but it has a carburation issue, possibly an air leak, 3 262s but I cannot remember the little 39cc Husky I used for first thinnings and that work came to an end with the 87 storm and even before that I'd changed to a Jonsered 2050 IIRC rather than husky. I had a clear out around 2009 and junked a load of saws in various stages of disrepair, including my original 280cd which I regret. In my yoof I could only afford one saw for a beginner and it was that with a 24" bar I used for everything ;-(. It was about 1 metre long so three lengths to a turnery pole and their maximum diameter was 6". Being self taught tends to be hard on the wallet.

• Like 2

Your 280CD....I have a 280S that I have been through, a pretty clean example but no chain brake. All ready to go and for sale so if interested.....just PM me. Got to clear down some of the kit I haven't got round to selling!

These machines do pull pretty hard in the cut.

20 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Your 280CD....I have a 280S that I have been through, a pretty clean example but no chain brake. All ready to go and for sale so if interested.....just PM me. Got to clear down some of the kit I haven't got round to selling!

These machines do pull pretty hard in the cut.

I only regret selling it because of sentimental value and it was a good workhorse. I also am gradually moving old working kit on.

• Like 1