Ex MOD Leyland DAF thinking of buying,,

spuddog0507

Your right there wont be many mogs that comply with the laws/regulations, and the same with tractors that haul a lowloader about with a digger on it, a timber trailer loaded with timber out of some ones front garden, a tipping trailer loaded with chip its all wrong as from what i have been reading, if a tractor is used for any thing outside agriculture/forestry/horticulture it by rights should be registered and taxed as general haulage and run on white diesel, but if it was used for clearing roadside trees (under highway maintanence) it is then classed as agriculture, its all there to be read but there is some very grey areas to consider, and to be honest my head has been up my arse reading from DVLA, VOSA, and customs & excise and as i said above it the governing bodies cant all agree on a subject what chance have we got ?, Tractors are  a very cheap form of transport to use running on red, free tax and cheap as chips insurance, but how many groundworks/arb teams/companies are on white diesel and taxed and registered as general haulage ? some people will disagree with what i have said but when you go in to the fine detail it is clearly stated on the .GOV websites it just takes some understanding, one thing i found is that one site states on red diesel i can only travel 80 kilometer,s 54 mile from base but then another site states 100 kilometer,s so which is right ??? 

All a bit of a gamble isn’t it. I’ve been plenty guilty enough myself of driving unimogs on the road for arb work. Less likely to get stopped and in trouble using a tractor , especially in rural or semi rural areas. Still doesn’t make it legal though [emoji23].
Easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission so no doubt I’ll be infringing again at some point [emoji38]
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lux said:

All a bit of a gamble isn’t it. I’ve been plenty guilty enough myself of driving unimogs on the road for arb work. Less likely to get stopped and in trouble using a tractor , especially in rural or semi rural areas. Still doesn’t make it legal though emoji23.png.
Easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission so no doubt I’ll be infringing again at some point emoji38.png

Gamble its a big one as you can be doing one task for say 4 weeks and its all legal then you do something for 2hrs and thats ileagle, not only in one way but several fuel/tax/insurance/MOT/opporter licence etc and if the law followed all this up it could be quite costly in pocket, ,most of my work with this truck will be way out in the sticks, moving our own timber and some sub contract work doing secondary forwarding so i dont think things are going to be bothering me that much but i do intend to move IBC,s with it 400yd down the road to a drying kiln, but this is a unclassified road !!!