Rate these home made spurs

markdcgraham

Hello arborists. I am not an arborist but I built my own pair of spurs and want to see what you guys think of them. Keep in mind I’m not an idiot but a capable mountaineer. And I have already proven they work. So far I’ve chunked down 8 trees. The biggest was a nearly 60’ spruce trees about 8” from my cabin. Yeah, it was tight but went off smoothly.  And I don’t even know how many I’ve just cut from the ground. So have at her and be as merciless as you want. That’s what I’m here for. I also made my own harness and lanyard and wire clips for the speed line I set up a few times. Yeah I’m really enjoying myself. If you wanna see them too I’ll put some pics up. 

35E3D137-0329-4D51-9379-E742A315CD25.jpeg

3AB16307-BF42-479F-9467-31948F4CE38E.jpeg

0F29E0EA-38D8-4DE1-B0A8-6D581F6402DC.jpeg

645E1429-6EC5-4E75-9E24-00D4CF71C79E.jpeg

2797463C-5658-4A81-96BC-22F06E716376.jpeg

D1D1A949-0AD1-4C18-8ADA-61E598CE07CE.jpeg

• Like 1

Good effort, better than I could do, however they don’t look like they would be too comfortable. There’s a lot more goes into these things than just a bit of welding, such as the ergonomics and it’s effect on your body/joints. If you look at most of the main brands they have certain features in the shanks, rather than just being dead straight. If you are just messing around with these as more of a hobby then I’m sure they’ll do you proud. That’s of course without touching on the whole subject of home made equipment and the extensive testing that you’ve effectively bypassed.

go ahead and post a pic of your homemade harness please 

• Like 1

They look like the callipers worn by a young forest gump.
Hats off for having a crack at it but they look like torture to wear. Buy a nice set of aluminium ones , only about £250 and will last forever whilst being a heck of a lot comfier.

Making your own harness sounds dodgy. I’d give that a miss and just buy one , stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, i appreciate that. They’re not so bad. I wear a nice thick boot and some nice thick work pants. But yeah, I’m never in a tree for more than a few hours. So they’d probably get a little painful. And as for the strength of them. The stirrup is 3/8” thick steel and the gaffs are 1/2” cold rolled steel. So I don’t think them breaking is an issue. It started out as fun but now I’m addicted to the feeling when the top just start to fall and down she goes. I love it. 

4AFB14CC-26EA-4AD6-AEA1-6A4BB749D87D.jpeg

B0B8219C-6604-4B93-9A58-D49C0D3FF066.jpeg

C2D3DCA9-FA0B-4E7A-939D-7DA4ADC3FEE3.jpeg

526A39BC-F560-4C5E-8FBC-98AC52493630.jpeg

9AB8CA05-F322-47AD-A71C-DBEFE9BAA11C.jpeg

907130EF-C042-4DD2-A207-6793A71F0C53.jpeg

760C06DD-907D-4EBF-BCBA-084A3E10406A.jpeg

F97750BF-CA13-4326-8341-A61A1529BCD7.jpeg

F1FE0AD3-51AA-4F78-B7C8-7D99FC6950E1.jpeg

323ADC79-12E0-40B3-B3C6-313CC1926FBC.jpeg

Edited by markdcgraham
Add images
  • Like 1

They do look a bit mediaeval but well done, you've obviously put some thought in to making them.

Be interested to see the harness and other gear you've made. First few times I tried climbing was with a homemade harness, a length of webbing tied as a "rescue seat". Absolute torture but I didn't fall out of it. 

• Like 1

Thank you, I bet with researching the angle of the gaffs and building the furnace to heat the stirrups to bend them Ive invested close to a jeez. It’s embarrassing maybe a few hundred hours. But I bet I only spent maybe 50$ on em. Just the steel for the gaffs and the bolts to hold the gaffs to the stirrups. All the rest of the material was salvaged or liberated from construction sites I’ve worked on. Me too. I used to just wear my climbing harness with a bunch of webbing tied around the waste for the d rings. And instead of spurs I would front point up in my crampons. 

• Like 1

Yes they do look a little like leg braces from forest gump. But those straightened him right out didn’t they? My wife actually offered to by me a set of professional ones if I would just stop making these stay out of the garage. But by then it was a matter of principle. I had to finish them. She hates them so much. I’m a little worried for Their safety. 

Edited by markdcgraham
Add more
  • Haha 4

Your harness looks just as uncomfortable as the one I made years ago! Wouldn't fancy using the lanyard, is it your only attachment to the tree?

It's a good thought process to go through, working out what you need and how to achieve it.

How did you find using crampons up a tree?

Did you do much research on tree climbing harnesses? You mentioned you were w mountaineer which shows on the harness design. You might get away with this for quick up and down stints but if you have to suspend yourself in that for any amount of time you’re going to have some serious comfort issues! Tree harnesses are well padded for good reason 

• Like 2

Crampons up a tree Is very hard on your back. It’s a very unnatural way to have your body. And yes it’s not the most comfortable but like I said I’m not a real arborist. So I don’t sit in it everyday. But I do have a pretty good amount of tolerance for discomfort. When headed up something,  climbing with a harness and your backpack  straps and the belt from your pants and maybe long underwear as well all rubbing on your hips you get used to going through a bit of skin.  And that lanyard is bullitt proof. It’s 1/4” wire rope rated to 2600lbs. And I made my own throw  bags as well so I’ll set a climbing rope in the tree. Have it go through my belay device with a prussic to mind it. So every 8’ or so I’ll suck up the slack. I also use a 5/8” nylon rope as a back up lanyard . So when I have gaffed out I only go for a little whipper. But I have yet to on this set. I’ve made a few pairs now and finally got the angle figured out at about 27 degrees. But really it’s that angle you put on the beehive at the tip that makes all the difference. I have found you almost want to make a little platform or step. So a 45 degree angle to the 27 degree angle. I added a pic. 

C83F8B98-C2D2-41EB-94B4-F6CD7123D137.jpeg

Edited by markdcgraham
Add more info