Moisture meters and temperature

carbs for arbs

Hi

As per the post in my other thread, I thought best to start a new thread for this rather than bury it in that one.  

I can't remember exactly where I read it - might have even been within this forum - but I think more than once temperature has come up as something to consider when measuring moisture content.  In fact, I'm sure I read that this can cause far more variance than wood species selection.  I've had to send the first meter I bought back as it stopped working properly.  But when I get a replacement, I'll have a play about with measuring the same log outdoors and indoors and seeing how much of a difference it makes, then report back. 

I the meantime though I wondered if anyone here has found that temperature makes a big difference in readings, and/or has any thoughts on whetehr logs should be measured outdoors, indoors, etc.? 

Cheers    

Meters don't meassure moisture content, they measure electrical conmductivity, and the display convertts this to a moisture content.

Conductivity increases with moisture content and temperature. So strictly speaking all moisture statements should be followed by "(measured at X degrees)" or should be normalised to some standard temperature.. My old Protimeter had a chart for adjusting values for temperature.

• Like 1

Hi

As per the post in my other thread, I thought best to start a new thread for this rather than bury it in that one.  

I can't remember exactly where I read it - might have even been within this forum - but I think more than once temperature has come up as something to consider when measuring moisture content.  In fact, I'm sure I read that this can cause far more variance than wood species selection.  I've had to send the first meter I bought back as it stopped working properly.  But when I get a replacement, I'll have a play about with measuring the same log outdoors and indoors and seeing how much of a difference it makes, then report back. 

I the meantime though I wondered if anyone here has found that temperature makes a big difference in readings, and/or has any thoughts on whetehr logs should be measured outdoors, indoors, etc.? 

Cheers    

How precise do you need to be?
And why?
I’ve found up to 10% mc difference in the same board.
Ie: one part is 10% other bits 14,16 and 20.
This is for your firewood I presume?
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

How precise do you need to be?
And why?
I’ve found up to 10% mc difference in the same board.
Ie: one part is 10% other bits 14,16 and 20.
This is for your firewood I presume?
emoji106.png

This was a significent issue when I attempted to test my meter, this despite fossicking into the firewood pile to extract a suitable regular shaped piece, that had been protected from partial(1 end in, 1 end out) exposure to the vageries of daily and diurnal humidity changes.

Being somewhat differing readings for the 2 different ends in particular.

I suppose I should have sealed it in a plastic bag in the kitchen to stabalize for both temp and surface/sub-surface humidity.

Anyway as near as I could judge my meter was reading 20% instead of 21%, insofar as I was able to measure.

So near-nuff for firewood.

And if I remember, the wee instruction booklet says ad/subtract .5deg C for every 5 Deg C below or above their normalized 20 Deg C.

Which I did.

Edited by difflock

13 hours ago, carbs for arbs said:

Hi

Cheers    

Metres have an operational temperature and RH range, one meter we are currently using for example has an operation temperature of 0C to 40C and operation RH is 0 to 70%. It is worth noting also that precision is affected by moisture level, example one meter we have between 5 - 20% precision is +/- 2% and between 21-40% it’s +/- 1%, it’s doesn’t seem so much about whether logs should be measured indoors or outdoors but rather that the technical data for a particular device is given consideration.

On 29/01/2021 at 15:39, openspaceman said: