Budget splitter...

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

Does any-one use one of these splitters?

The link is for a near identical machine.

Generic Chinesium, I believe Rock Machinery also sell similar, they are certainly sold under many brands with slight nuances of design and colour.

Homologated to 72kph (45mph) which is enough for local work or if I must travel further, it can ride in a trailer along with the stumpy and wee chinesium chippette.

I picked one up at a local farm shop, Briggs engine.

Single speed but a 12sec cycle.

BOUTIQUE.CMS-CONSTRUCTEUR.FR

Fendeuse de bûches FH24T thermique sur remorque.Fendeuse de bûches thermique tractable, montée sur une remorque avec grandes roues de...

I don't do much splitting generally but have built up a back log of splitting jobs during the lockdowns.

This machine is clearly not in the same class as the French built AMR which I rent from time to time but I hope will do the job well enough.

https://www.a-m-r.fr/fr/catalogue/fendre/fendeuse-de-buche-homologuee-route/

Ive got that very model! Rock call theirs the ES 22t Venom and no longer sell it as they no longer need a EU compliant Splitter since we're free of the EU diktats. They sold the last of theirs off cheap and I got one for £1500 delivered. 

I'll see if I can dig out some pics and a wee vid. 

I removed all the EU nonsense so its now a single handed operation and removed the kill switch that stops you operating it in the horizontal. 

I really like it and have split quite a few tons with it now. The 22t force in my opinion is not over rated and if it does not split a log it will just smoosh it apart, ie a union or a real knotty piece. I see the add has them at 24t but I assume Rock downrated that to 22t? 

The 4 way head is good if you get a chance to buy one go for it. Rock stopped selling them as folk tried to force big lumps though it and ended up breaking the 4 way head and complained. Its fine for upto say 14" logs. I got mine free but they are about £50 and well worth it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Cheers, I appreciate the feedback.

Image attached of the actual machine.

I 'won' another splitting job today.

It was to be 'evacuation bois' but the confinement seems to have altered peoples requirements... or desires.

€1500 inc vat.

IMG_20210209_150749.jpg

How much does a Splitting job pay you? 

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

How much does a Splitting job pay you? 

Far far less than the removal, less than half. So that I'm storing up the splitting in case of an eventual 'economic down turn'.

If that does not arrive then I've be subbing machine and a couple of willing hands out.  

However, if there is a down turn, then Mrs Lee and I will chew through the work ourselves.

Almost a loss leader service but if done together with Mrs Lee rather than a subby, actually profitable.

I'll look into disabling the security lever. That certainly seems a ball ache.

Stuart

• Like 1

Just now, Ty Korrigan said:

Far far less than the removal, less than half. So that I'm storing up the splitting in case of an eventual 'economic down turn'.

If that does not arrive then I've be subbing machine and a couple of willing hands out.  

However, if there is a down turn, then Mrs Lee and I will chew through the work ourselves.

Almost a loss leader service but if done together with Mrs Lee rather than a subby, actually profitable.

I'll look into disabling the security lever. That certainly seems a ball ache.

Stuart

Im looking at doing some splitting jobs myself but have no idea how to price it. Im getting paid from my work anyway but with so much going on at home it would not be worth me doing the job unless it paid well enough, but that sounds unlikely. 

34 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

12 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Im looking at doing some splitting jobs myself but have no idea how to price it. Im getting paid from my work anyway but with so much going on at home it would not be worth me doing the job unless it paid well enough, but that sounds unlikely. 

In reality, in the case of most jobs, it would be cheaper for clients to buy in wood fuel than pay us to split their arb waste.

I may yet wind my neck in on my splitting rate but only if the worlds economy implodes...

Stuart

• Thanks 1