Beech take down 2010

Rupe

Cheers Rupe,

my thoughts aren't so much just around the prevailing wind, more so the strong gusts from the unpredictable directions.

These two have grown together creating a dampening effect between the two canopies.

The natural oscilation that was in existence prior to the removal, would I'd of thought, have now become altered.

This may have reprecussions on weak branch attachments within the canopy of the remaining twin stems.

Only some thoughts, and primitive at that, as i've not read any specific research on this.

It's possible Casian Humphreys down under, may have done some work around this type of scenario.

Just thinking out aloud,

though as your 'local' I'd be very keen to hear of any failures of note, in this remaining tree.

Would appreciate an update if anything occurs.

the 'who' :001_smile:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed more effect from this in the past on trees that we have thinned or removed limbs from. The next strong bout of wind can rip them to pieces where one limb may have previously protected the next in line.

Same with Cedars and snow! One limb eventually fails after excessive snow and the following year the next limb gets the snow when it had never done so before and doesn't stand a chance and so on till no Cedar tree left.

Anyway, the owner of the nextdoor beech tree is doing the right thing and having an independant survey, which I'm sure will take into account the removal of this one.

What recent movement would that be??

I'm glad I didn't recomend it, but how long would you leave a tree that size leanign towards a listed building? Apparently the lean had increased recently. .

I'm joshing with ya,

though you do make mention of the above earlier on.

Were you refering to root plate movement or trunk subsidence?

59765563e88a6_0151.jpg.71cbc27c9bef2d517d926c3849640af9.jpg

59765563e5ec4_0661.jpg.b81fceeb917ae3d8b8e77ed12c83c286.jpg

59765563e2d2b_0591.jpg.beafe6c04bcd187c348843952aea9f78.jpg

Yep "Apparently" the lean had increased recently. .

I don't know if it had or not. I was only referring to what I had been told. Don't forget that I have no involvment in decision making, or diagnosis etc. its not my field.

I was never asked for my opinion so I never gave it. Too many opinions in this industry as it is sometimes.

I totaly understand your position here Rupe,

and do appreciate the way you have divulged what you do know in terms of the reason behind the removal.

I guess I'm just curious as to what methods have been used, to reach the decision that concluded with the Trees demise.

You've documented the take down really well, and as a by-product you have also shown great shots that help give insight into the aspect, stability, vitality and historical significance of that tree in that situation.

These things have raised my interest in trying to educate my understanding of how these decisions are brought about.

It does appear (within the constraints that cyberworld allows) from your video and photographs, that the Tree appeared to be compartmentalising what heart decay there was, and also appears to be showing the natural adaptive fluting of an ageing but dynamic Beech.

With the above in mind, I do wonder how much consideration was given to a reduction from the view point of the LA?

Could you pm me the contacts for either the consultant and/or TO?

In confidence of course.

In the name of self advancement, I'd be interested in following up the story from their view points.

No worries if you cant :001_smile:

No, I don't think I can do that. They do their jobs and I do mine. Just enjoy the photos and videos from the rigging aspect as that is what they are intended for, and thats why they are in the rigging section. If I have concerns over tree health or TO decisions I'll post pictures and raise questions in the appropriate areas.

No, I don't think I can do that. They do their jobs and I do mine. Just enjoy the photos and videos from the rigging aspect as that is what they are intended for, and thats why they are in the rigging section. If I have concerns over tree health or TO decisions I'll post pictures and raise questions in the appropriate areas.

Fairplay to you Rupe! Eventhough it's obvious that there is no intention from Monkeyd's side to give either you or the TO a hard time. Its mere an interest in the desisionmaking and conclusion of the reason for the withdrawn TPO that is in focus.

Im sure you could explain this to the TO and pass on Monkeyds contact info and leave it up to him/her to get in contact with him if approperiate, thus not putting your integrity at risk.

Thanks Rupe for sharing this story with us. Great performance, informative and brilliant video and pics! Picked up a few ideas that will be used in the future:thumbup:

Like I said, no worries if you can't Rupe.

I totaly respect your integrity.

Just would like to see more balance on the site, between Tree health and Tree death.

Were great here for sharing the machismo and spectacle of a big job well done, but very poor imo, for getting over the whole picture.

I try & play all the wheels in this house, and would love to see a greater move from the big experienced fallers & climbers (Big group-seldom heard) to share & impart their years of hands on timber & tree knowledge, and not just let the indemnitied (small group-even less heard) generally self driven creatures, be the ones that are put up on a pedestall by those who like to grow & learn.

We need' bridges' not 'castles' to get our beloved industry growing toward the same light.

Boy, that was a load of sentimental claptrap, were it not.

& with that, i'll get me, off of your cloud :001_smile: