Moisture testing

Able Fella

Thought about getting one of these, but I've managed for years without one so why should I change now? Where exactly are you supposed to check a log? On the outside edge? Or do you split one in half and test the centre? And which log to test? One from the top, middle or bottom of the stack? Or every tenth log? :confused1:

I've just got visions of advertising a load of logs at <20% moisture content and having some pedant checking every log with their own meter, before triumphantly 'phoning up to claim a refund having found one at 21%.:thumbdown:

Steve, as Im new to the firewood game I thought I should invest what is really not alot of money, this tool im sure will become less needed once ive got the eye for the wood as obviously you have, it was just something that I could have to ensure im selling wood as advertised, looking at previous msgs it seems most people speak highly of them, thanks for msg.

Thought about getting one of these, but I've managed for years without one so why should I change now? Where exactly are you supposed to check a log? On the outside edge? Or do you split one in half and test the centre? And which log to test? One from the top, middle or bottom of the stack? Or every tenth log? :confused1:

I've just got visions of advertising a load of logs at <20% moisture content and having some pedant checking every log with their own meter, before triumphantly 'phoning up to claim a refund having found one at 21%.:thumbdown:

Ive been doing firewood on and off for over 20 years and only just got one.

I was horrified to find out some log moistures, like some elm thats been split for 4 months, feels and looks very dry, but was 31% on the outside of the log:scared1:

As for where to test, yes, in the middle of a split log.

And yes, if you advertise seasoned below 20% moisture, one log at 21% is not acceptable. That does mean testing logs top middle and bottom of bag if you want to run it that close:sneaky2:

I personally would sell them when they are at least 3 or 4% below what they are advertised at.

Where can I get a moisture meter from for testing logs, ive seen the 1s on ebay for property damp testing and wondered if they were the same, can you advise on any particuar make/ model? Many thanks in advance.

got ours off ebay, weve got some big ones and these little handy pocket ones go from zero to 60% which is perfect for firewood, that the loads have in their trucks, and in their pockets, cheap enough if they get lost but weve had them over a year and all ok - german technology !

on ebay under moisture meter, they have got proper spikes to go into timber and i think we paid £15.99 plus VAT etc p&p , cant put up a link but try this off google-

TOP-MESSTECHNIK *** SAGT DANKE - Willkommen

I have a moisture metre which is used for testing all sorts of materials but I mainly use it for firewood (and other wood for carpentry etc). With this one you have to in-put the specific gravity of the individual species of wood to give an accurate reading, it takes in to account surrounding humidity levels etc etc

Probably a bit OTT for firewood but is very accurate