New to me MS250 anything to do?

HDAV

So I recently got myself an  MS250 it’s had a well used previous life but seems in good order I have given it a clean it’s running well starts so much easier even from cold than the husky 235 I have been using.

it’s got an 18” stihl bar and .325 chain which is sharp ( to me at least) need to learn to sharpen it myself going to get one of those nifty 2in1 files (are the knock off eBay  £13 ones any good?) 

So far I took the bar and chain off, cleaned out a lot of old compacted dust and oil, took the recoil starter  off gave it a clean, checked the oil pump is running. cleaned the plug (will check the gap) fuel filter looks clean.

I don’t have a compressor to blow the dust out, but keen to learn and be able to look after the machine hopefully for many more years service  but while I have time on my hands anything I should be doing? 

I was tempted by a project saw but wary of buying an expensive mistake that would end up costing me more than a decent running unit (hopefully haven’t made a mistake as I spent a little more than I had planned) 

F9C24A09-22C2-4584-9A1A-CA3C80538AFD.jpeg

Edited by HDAV
  • Like 1

Can't speak of the quality of the knock off ebay ones but the genuine stihl ones are worth the money. The files are interchangeable and you can get new ones for a couple of quid. Not sure if you can get new files for the rip off ones and also not sure how good the files are that come with them. 

Other than that it looks like  good unit, check to see if the bar is worn as it looks like it's seen a fair bit of use. There's loads of ways to check but if you put a straight edge between the side of the tooth and the bar it shouldn't go flat to the bar. 

Run synthetic oil in it as bio oil will gum up if you aren't using it regularly and running it on aspen whilst more expensive than petrol will mean that it starts and runs whenever you pull it out of storage! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Can't speak of the quality of the knock off ebay ones but the genuine stihl ones are worth the money. The files are interchangeable and you can get new ones for a couple of quid. Not sure if you can get new files for the rip off ones and also not sure how good the files are that come with them. 

Other than that it looks like  good unit, check to see if the bar is worn as it looks like it's seen a fair bit of use. There's loads of ways to check but if you put a straight edge between the side of the tooth and the bar it shouldn't go flat to the bar. 

Run synthetic oil in it as bio oil will gum up if you aren't using it regularly and running it on aspen whilst more expensive than petrol will mean that it starts and runs whenever you pull it out of storage! 

Thanks I’ll check the bar but looked good the other night. Bio chain oil or motor oil? It looks from what’s in the tank it’s using a blue/green oil mix previously I used the stihl red 2 stroke. 

if you mean chain oil then I’m wondering if the chain oil I have been using on pole saw has gone off and gummed it up would

like to get my hand on that and strip it down but it’s 120 miles away and not essential

15 minutes ago, HDAV said:

Thanks I’ll check the bar but looked good the other night. Bio chain oil or motor oil? It looks from what’s in the tank it’s using a blue/green oil mix previously I used the stihl red 2 stroke. 

if you mean chain oil then I’m wondering if the chain oil I have been using on pole saw has gone off and gummed it up would

like to get my hand on that and strip it down but it’s 120 miles away and not essential

Both synthetic bar oil (as bio gums up) and synthetic engine (stihl green) oil. Obviously if you buy Aspen it comes with synthetic oil in. 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Both synthetic bar oil (as bio gums up) and synthetic engine (stihl green) oil. Obviously if you buy Aspen it comes with synthetic oil in. 

Thanks I’ll pick up some synthetic bar oil and check the stuff I had been using which is pretty old probably 10+ years and did seem a bit gloopy any recommendations for synth bar oil of occasional users? 

I bought the knock off .325" version having got a genuine one at 3/8"". Whoever made it didn't understand the mechanics of how it worked so although the file fitted in the holes correctly it wasn't set to the correct tooth distance - it might have been right to a non-.325" chain but that wasn't the point. Anyway, straight in the bin and a genuine 4.8mm and 4.2mm ones bought and all is well with the world again.

Doesn't look in bad shape. I would check the sprocket out for wear. Many of the machines I get in end up with new sprocket drums as nobody seems to replace them! I check the end of the sprocket lobes to make sure they don't have indentations in them. If they do, the sprocket is on it's way.

Clutch springs can be worn, if the clutch side makes a ring pinging noise then either the idle is too high or the clutch springs are worn. 

Make sure the chain catcher is OK and make sure the chain brake works OK.

Make sure you keep the air filter clean and see how it goes. Not bad little machines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

Doesn't look in bad shape. I would check the sprocket out for wear. Many of the machines I get in end up with new sprocket drums as nobody seems to replace them! I check the end of the sprocket lobes to make sure they don't have indentations in them. If they do, the sprocket is on it's way.

Just replaced one on a 'well maintained' 2nd hand purchase, old drum had chunks missing out of it, guide bar turned blue on the edges and gouges everywhere from repeated chain drops. I always keep my stuff well serviced and keep on top of wear and chain tension, I can't believe how much everyone seems to lose their chains as it's not once happened to me.

I wonder if this will change once I start using a saw 40 hours a week rather than 40 hours a year 🤔 or if the vast majority of arborists simply flog their kit to death and then replace it when it succumbs to the lack of maintenance 😂

• Sad 1