CHAS vs Arb Approved

Clutchy

As the titles suggests. Looking to go down one of the above routes.

It is clear that the decent money seems to be in the commercial work and would like to aim for an 80% commercial 20% domestic split. 

We have done a few £10k plus jobs for builders, estate management, block management etc and have recently been asked if we had any CHAS accreditation for a small clearance job. (We were able to proceed on this occasion without it)

I have never been asked if we are AA in anyway.

Any suggestions on which out of the 2 would be better to peruse and for what reason? If there are better schemes to be suggested that would help gain more commercial work that would be appreciated. Based in North London if that makes a difference. Not afraid of paperwork and we are quite competent with H&S regs + RAMS. 

Cheers

From what I found out previously, if you gain AA approval then it also includes CHAS and possibly others but you would have to found out from the website. 

Also if you are AA approved then you have the added bonus of being Advertised on their website. 

There is lot of information on the website and also before covid-19 you could attend a day's workshop on how to become AA approved. 

There is also a company that you can employ to help/do all the paperwork work for you ahead of your test. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

I have been Safecontractor approved for 6 years or so. That might be another option for you?

Will have a look 

Has it actively brought you in any new business or has it been a requirement for some jobs/contracts in your experience 

It was a requirement for a grounds maintenance contract we had, and still is at the same place where we just look after the trees now.

Difficult to know if it brings in more work - I routinely attach a copy of my Safecontractor and insurance certificates to the email when I send quotes out. Hard to know if if helps, but I am never short of work, and these days we are 90 per cent domestic work.

• Thanks 1

Terrible analogy but kinda like Vauxhall Corsa (CHAS) v Vauxhall Zafira (ARB Approved. ) The Corsa gets you from A to B but the Zafira offers much more versatility and options...and gets you from A to B too.

Both schemes are registered safety schemes with SSIP, as are many others including SAFEcontractor and SMAS, but whilst they cover only H&S compliance (for SSIP) we cover that and lots more so more beneficial to the Arboricultural/tree surgery business. Once ARB Approved you can access the other schemes without further audit.

We care planning some virtual workshops / open forums (online) in near future so "watch this space."

Any questions please ask...or call me tomorrow 07971995351.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1