Stihl TS410 Disc cutter won't start.

Carrot Cruncher

Power cutters work in the most hostile environments, used by operators who have no mechanical sympathy, filled with any dirty can they can find regardless of what is in it,diesel, water etc, they fit blades incorrectly, blades with the wrong bore size, on top of the flanges instead of between them and any other variation, so there are limits to how much we can do to combat poor operators, we have centrifugal air cleaning, large paper element filters, compensator carbs, double lip crank seals, sealed starters, sealed bearings in the drive drum, extended life fuel filters, and oil guard, the oil guard system monitors the colour of the fuel passing into the carb ( oil guard oil is a golden brown ) if it does not sense the oil, or the mixture is on the lean side it will retard the ignition causing it to stop revving, back to the paper filters, we did have an oil filler sponge primary filter and a smaller paper filter, however operators and dealers were washing them out and not re oiling them so they were doing nothing, a larger paper filter was then introduced, the filter can last up to a year in normal operation without being touched, even when completely blocked ( they weigh 3 times there original weight ) they will not allow dust through , keep removing them to check their condition  just breaks the seal between the filter and the housing which eventually will allow dust to pass underneath the filter, as for using an air line on a paper filter, the paper is  obviously porous enough to allow air through but tight enough to stop dust , when air is blasted through it the pours in the paper open up which then will allow small particles of dust to pass along with the air into the engine, so to be honest i do not really care what people do with their air filters, just do not blame the quality of the machine  for their mistake, welcome to my world of warranty.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, adw said:

Power cutters work in the most hostile environments, used by operators who have no mechanical sympathy, filled with any dirty can they can find regardless of what is in it,diesel, water etc, they fit blades incorrectly, blades with the wrong bore size, on top of the flanges instead of between them and any other variation, so there are limits to how much we can do to combat poor operators, we have centrifugal air cleaning, large paper element filters, compensator carbs, double lip crank seals, sealed starters, sealed bearings in the drive drum, extended life fuel filters, and oil guard, the oil guard system monitors the colour of the fuel passing into the carb ( oil guard oil is a golden brown ) if it does not sense the oil, or the mixture is on the lean side it will retard the ignition causing it to stop revving, back to the paper filters, we did have an oil filler sponge primary filter and a smaller paper filter, however operators and dealers were washing them out and not re oiling them so they were doing nothing, a larger paper filter was then introduced, the filter can last up to a year in normal operation without being touched, even when completely blocked ( they weigh 3 times there original weight ) they will not allow dust through , keep removing them to check their condition  just breaks the seal between the filter and the housing which eventually will allow dust to pass underneath the filter, as for using an air line on a paper filter, the paper is  obviously porous enough to allow air through but tight enough to stop dust , when air is blasted through it the pours in the paper open up which then will allow small particles of dust to pass along with the air into the engine, so to be honest i do not really care what people do with their air filters, just do not blame the quality of the machine  for their mistake, welcome to my world of warranty.

Makes me want to cry when I walk around the corner on site and employee is pulling the start cord  like a man possessed rather than consider why it won't start ,usually because they have flooded it.I get the same sinking feeling sometimes when they drive my trucks. 

18 minutes ago, blackjack said:

Makes me want to cry when I walk around the corner on site and employee is pulling the start cord  like a man possessed rather than consider why it won't start ,usually because they have flooded it.I get the same sinking feeling sometimes when they drive my trucks. 

You can't fix stupid but you can hit it with a stick until it learns 😂

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...