The Wee Chipper Club

TimberCutterDartmoor

But in order to really make them work, they have to replace the drag to the trailed machine right, and then they come into their own?

Sorry if i seem obtuse, but the difference between what i thought they would be like from hreads on here to how i found them was vast....

it is a small chipper mate, thats it. The saving is in the drag and not having the expense of removing material. to put it in simpler terms my gloria replaced a mog and chipper and valmet roofmount with 16 foot dump trailer and a member of staff. and all that equipement was used daily, i have the merc truck with hiab and a 10" chipper i dont use anymore, i also bought that new trailer and patrol that doesnt get used much

But in order to really make them work, they have to replace the drag to the trailed machine right, and then they come into their own?

Sorry if i seem obtuse, but the difference between what i thought they would be like from hreads on here to how i found them was vast....

someone wasnt running the job right to suit the equipement tom, simples

• Like 1

Also it is the cost that sways me. £3300ish for a brand new machine with warranty compared to £9000ish. I am a one man band getting into the industry, I make my money doing conifers, hedges and garden tree felling/removal. I am not big enough to warrant a larger chipper at the moment, if I need one for a requested job then I shall hire one. At the moment I pay £70 per day plus 60miles to hire a mini chipper which is ridiculus, 95% of my customers want the brash chipped and left on site therefore I need a machine that can put the chip where they want it (back garden/behind the garage etc).

getting a tree safely on the ground is the cream of every job, the processing and removing is the less profitable and if you have a lot to take down you are doing yourself out of money, staff and vehicles and bigger chippers for removing arisings are costly and create more hassle and stress than most can handle or be bothered with. Now that i have cracked the ' leave on site ' market i have bought a safetrack 6" machine and got peteb to put lifting eyes on it so i can utilise my truck and lift it into gardens that dont allow gate access, so i can process quicker without dragging. i have spoke to Mike Hill about this and he has been doing this for a couple of years and has found it a huge success, so i will take his lead. So expect a thread on 'Tracey' the tracked chipper next week:thumbup:

someone wasnt running the job right to suit the equipement tom, simples

That is what i suspected. So given that you are getting the tracked machine, am i right in thinking that really it is too much to ask to rely totally on a micro chipper?

getting a tree safely on the ground is the cream of every job, the processing and removing is the less profitable and if you have a lot to take down you are doing yourself out of money, staff and vehicles and bigger chippers for removing arisings are costly and create more hassle and stress than most can handle or be bothered with. Now that i have cracked the ' leave on site ' market i have bought a safetrack 6" machine and got peteb to put lifting eyes on it so i can utilise my truck and lift it into gardens that dont allow gate access, so i can process quicker without dragging. i have spoke to Mike Hill about this and he has been doing this for a couple of years and has found it a huge success, so i will take his lead. So expect a thread on 'Tracey' the tracked chipper next week:thumbup:

Look forward to it!!!

That is what i suspected. So given that you are getting the tracked machine, am i right in thinking that really it is too much to ask to rely totally on a micro chipper?

I see your point. It is too much to rely on a micro chipper but for my line of business I believe its the way forward, as I said if I require a larger machine I shall hire one in.

i am flat out tom, i havent been this busy in 3 years mate, i hate having a job list infront of me, people call me when they want something done asap, and bigger trees do have more to process, so gloria is holding me back from getting more trees on the deck quicker, i wouldnt go for a standard tracked chipper so thats why i went for the vari trak. i have used gloria now since justins show and nothing else, but work is now stopping me doing family stuff so i want to do a job the quickest most efficient way possible:thumbup1:

I worked with out a chipper for my first 2 years in business and i did some huge trees, anything is possible but maybe not the most efficient

Edited by Stephen Blair

The reason I went for a small chipper is that with a towable chipper you need a vehicle to chip into which I haven't got, I have a swb vw van. Also I have nowhere to store a towable chipper where as I can get a small one into my own back garden and lock it up securely. Plus I have nowhere to store chip and logs so a tipper wouldn't really be the best thing.

I have the van, a trailer and the wee chipper:thumbup: