Splitting wedge / Knife

Justme

29 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

Looking good, before I found the baler gearbox I was going to buy 1 from tractor factory, it was listed under topper gearboxes, but if you do see an old round baler try and buy the front gearbox, they're really heavy duty.

Does the iveco need much in the way of electrics to run?

Battery, wire, switch about sums it up.

Nice & old school.

I will add low fuel & oil shutdown.

48 minutes ago, andy cobb said:

Looking good, before I found the baler gearbox I was going to buy 1 from tractor factory, it was listed under topper gearboxes, but if you do see an old round baler try and buy the front gearbox, they're really heavy duty.

Does the iveco need much in the way of electrics to run?

Thanks for that lead.

They look quite cheap but give limited specs especially re rotation.

Will be a phone them job.

I have been looking at:-

Kramp, costly but give good details & options

Gwaza

Genfitt

Have you done a spread sheet with your gearbox ratios for each gear & the 90 box ratio if its not 1-1 to see what gear / engine speeds will work for you?

Have you found your hp / torque curve to see at what revs it will have enough power?

I have & its interesting to see just what will work & what wont. There are bigger gaps than you would think in the gears when you only have 100 pto rpm's to play with.

I was aiming for 1100-1200rpm but would be ok with up to about 1600rpm ish re fuel & noise.

From playing with the tractor 400 pto rpm is just too low for high production, it works but slightly struggles on big stuff so aiming for 450-550 PTO speeds. For personal use I would run at 400 pto. But for my work production is king.

My gears are:-

1st 6.19 
2nd 3.38
3rd 2.26
4th 1.42

5th 1.00

With a 1-1 box

3rd gear at 1050rpm = 464 pto,  1200rpm = 530 pto

2nd gear comes in at 1550rpm & 458 pto, 1650rpm is 488 pto

But if 3rd does not work its a big rpm jump to second

Other gears are not usable with a 1-1 box.

With a 1-1.5 up box

2nd gear 1050 rpm - 469 pto 1200rpm - 532 pto

No other gears work till 1st at 2000 rpm so risky but also best rpm speed if it works.

The 1-1.9 down gear box give the best guarantee of having enough power.

4th gear 1250 rpm - 463 pto to 1450 rpm - 537 pto.

5th gear tickover/ 900 rpm - 473 pto to 1050 rpm - 552 pto 

If you know your gear ratios I can drop them in my sheet for you.

• Like 1

The gearboxes from tractor factory alter the direction of rotation and are geared up slightly I think 1-1.2

The gearbox I've got is also geared up a little, but I've done no calculations as regards input speed.

I was just going to find shaft speed with no load using a digi tacho and find a gear that suits then apply load and see how it reacts

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 18:39, Justme said:

Currently trying to source 90 deg box.

Quite often have cheapish ones on eBay, I managed to get a very high spec brand new one for my homemade saw bench for £100. 

It's also worth trying your local ag spares place. New one for my topper was very reasonable.

28 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Quite often have cheapish ones on eBay, I managed to get a very high spec brand new one for my homemade saw bench for £100. 

It's also worth trying your local ag spares place. New one for my topper was very reasonable.

I use the agri places a lot already. Ebay only have one suitable in America. 

12 hours ago, andy cobb said:

The gearboxes from tractor factory alter the direction of rotation and are geared up slightly I think 1-1.2

The gearbox I've got is also geared up a little, but I've done no calculations as regards input speed.

I was just going to find shaft speed with no load using a digi tacho and find a gear that suits then apply load and see how it reacts

Basically going to do the same but just wanted a ball park to start with.

Most tractor ones I am finding are 1-1 1-1.5ish & 1-1.9ish

What the sheet really made clear for me was that there is only about a 200 engine rpm range that each gear will work in from pto to slow to too fast no matter what tractor box ratio you use. So it might be that the engine has to run at a higher speed than actually needed so it does not drop on load as it has no governor to up the fuel. ALso made apparent was that if your not careful with tractor box gearing you could have a dead rpm zone that no gear works in to you end up at say 1600rpm when 1200-1400 would have been fine.

• 3 months later...