accelerating cavity creation in even age stand woods

Charlieh

Another brilliant thread guys! You might consider getting yourselves Paul Stamets' Mycelium Running...(maybe your local libraray might be able to track down a copy if you don't want to fork out the folding)...it contains a wealth of fungal info including the benefit of his 20yrs+ practical experience of what he calls mycoforestry.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another brilliant thread guys! You might consider getting yourselves Paul Stamets' Mycelium Running...(maybe your local libraray might be able to track down a copy if you don't want to fork out the folding)...it contains a wealth of fungal info including the benefit of his 20yrs+ practical experience of what he calls mycoforestry.

ive got one of his books, growing gormet mushrooms, he does do a good book, shall get a copy of the one suggested.

wow thats an interesting project!. I've never had to create habitat enhancement that big. I usually just bore in and up and widen the mouth of the hole. Love the idea of introducing decay fungi into the stem:thumbup:

Charliegh, im asuming that due to the earlier post they like these cavaties a bit high off the ground as you say they like black woodpecker holes?

Is there a typical scenario, hieght diameter etc?

I do know that woodpeckers are very shrewd at picking out the limbs and stems decayed by fungi, hispidus in ash which creates bark necroses is often drilled out and nested in, as are laetiporus infections in cherry stands etc etc

the boxes are installed at anything from 6 to 20ft up a tree, although its generally the higher the better for pine martens, the lower the better for checking them,

in terms of size 15cm should be ample, i mean really this is a long term idea/project as i know a cavity big enough as a den site will still take many years to form,

Trust me your not alone in this line of thought!

I reckon you could do a lot worse than look to "encourage" colonisation of some limbs in trees that are well away from target issues, I might even sign out an area for exclusion, in other words removing the targets!

Chicken of the woods- Laetiporus sulpherus, Pluerotus ostreatus, hericium erinaceas are avaliable for purchase as wooden dowels and it wood be easy to do.

Would need to be mass inoculated to assure infection to the "zone" and a healthy limb to begin with to insure no "dual infections" as these might out compete your desirable heart rotters.