500i bar length - 36" too big??

StihlGreen

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

I would surmise that if an accident were to occur, that the HSE would investigate training, safe working practice and equipment maintenance rather than looking to see if the machine may be modified and they would probably not have any ideas on how a chainsaw could be modified.

I am out of the game now but using a modified saw is very much up to the owner.

I suspect 'modding' a saw or fitting bar lengths above and beyond what the manufacturer recommends may well affect the validity of any insurance you may have....if they can apply it to vehicles, then rest assured they would find a way out of paying a claim for a modded or non standard piece of machinery that the insurer has not been informed of prior. I am happy to be corrected by an insurance company if this isn't the case.

Edited by pleasant

• Veteran Member
On 04/01/2021 at 10:26, Paddy1000111 said:
Out of interest has anyone ever put in an insurance claim after an accident with a ported saw? I'm sure they would start firing questions at you if it was covered in "I'm ported" "X modded" stickers and obvious mods but has an insurer sent someone out who knows about saws and would know what they're looking at? 
Only sort of insurance stuff with mods I have any experience with is cars when a couple of friends had crashes, their cars were mapped, egr blocked etc etc. They just sent out a guy with a clipboard who wrote down what was damaged! 

I read somewhere (probably on here) that in the case of serious injury or death,
A mech will take the saw away for examination.
First on the list is depth gauges.
Remember you’re only insured if you follow their rules.
Any chainsaw which is badly maintained will be hazardous at best.
My insurance company asked me 3 times if I’ve modded my engine on my vehicle.
They even asked if I had any shelving in the back as that could invalidate my insurance.
My understanding of chainsaws is,
If you mod it in any way, your insurance is useless.
It takes years of R&D not to mention ce marks
Bs certification etc
Not worth the risk in a professional environment.
At home... yeah get the spudded saws out and cut discos or firewood.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

I've used 36' on a 500i and even milled with it.  It wasn't ideal, the chain speed kept dropping and the it struggled.

I stay away from all modifications. The way I see it, if you want more power, buy a bigger saw where all the parts are stronger (chassis, crank, flywheel, clutch etc.) and designed together for the horsepower of the saw.

• Like 1