Processor advice required

jackss565

We having been processing 75-100t per year of mainly oversize oak for the last 10 years into billets and then through a saw, but recently more and more of the timber we have been getting in has been under 14" ash and birch so we are now looking for a small, cheapish processor to go alongside.

I have seen a 1998 palax 600 for sale in our budget which seems ok but i am concerned about the age of the machine, is there likely to be life left in it or am i better off buying a newer/ more expensive machine?

All advice appreciated

Jack

On 17/11/2020 at 17:09, andy cobb said:

I've got an old palax 600, think it's a 97.

They're really good robust machines, and even if it does need work, they are very simple machines to work on.

If you get 1 I'd recommend you remove the auto split trip and put it on a foot pedal or hand lever.

Sorry to hijack thread. Have a question for Andy, why would you remove auto split trip, reason I am asking is we have a 600 that for some reason we have an issue as auto split sometimes works sometimes doesn’t after cutting.Ram will operate but not return, have to pull lever. Any advice?

Cheers

Edited by davess1402
Missed out info

2 hours ago, davess1402 said:

Sorry to hijack thread. Have a question for Andy, why would you remove auto split trip, reason I am asking is we have a 600 that for some reason we have an issue as auto split sometimes works sometimes doesn’t after cutting.Ram will operate but not return, have to pull lever. Any advice?

Cheers

Reason for removing it was that we were processing a lot of billets, and they never seemed to drop into the chamber right, it's now set up with a 2 stage lever, first stage is high force low speed and second is low force high speed with detent on return position. Once you get into a rhythm it works well.

3 hours ago, andy cobb said:

Reason for removing it was that we were processing a lot of billets, and they never seemed to drop into the chamber right, it's now set up with a 2 stage lever, first stage is high force low speed and second is low force high speed with detent on return position. Once you get into a rhythm it works well.

Totally agree with you on this one.  My machine is also about 1995 and has done a lot of work for a quarter of a century with no problems at all apart from the fact that when a log decides to be awkward and fall crossways it will do so.  I made a simple foot control pedal which has the additional benefit when cutting smaller diameter stuff without the splitting knife, I can cut half a dozen logs without triggering the ram, which makes the job a lot faster.

I made a log deck and there is a certain amount of manual work but no heavy lifting,  I prefer it like that to keep warm rather than sitting on a seat or in a cab just pulling levers all day.