How to best deal with woodworm on these tops

Woodworks

Hope someone can help. Making up some kitchen tops for a customer from some boards they milled themselves. There is evidence of woodworm in lots of places on the boards but these are the worst. The wood is a little over but not too far gone from a structural perspective but suspect they will soak up a lot of finish ? . I cant see fresh dust but the boards were only milled a year ago so would this all have happened since milling or is it more likely to have been in the tree when alive? Do I need to treat the holes or will any worm die with the wood now being dry? Also how do I finish the tops. Do I fill and then finish or could I varnish which might fill all the small surface holes? The third picture shows the little surface grooves that worry me the most. I nice neat vertical hole is at least easy to fill

I have done plenty of woodwork over the years but never with spalted and wormy wood so a bit lost as to how to manage it. The customer is pretty easy going and does not expect perfection but the tops with will get hard use. 

Thanks

IMG_20201104_164735.jpg

IMG_20201104_164413#2.jpg

IMG_20201104_164601.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

I would be careful using a treatment on boards used in a kitchen. Looking at the Q&As on the screwfix site they say don't use it in food preperation areas.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-wood-preserver-clear-5ltr/47030

Edit to add, go to the Q&A section and search on 'food'.

Edited by Paul in the woods
  • Like 2

Just now, Paul in the woods said:

Just about to say the same thing.  The best way to deal with the woodworm would be to get the boards in a kiln and use heat to kill the larvae....

• Like 2

Depends.  I reckon you'd need to get the temperature of the wood up to 70 degrees [at the core] for at least half an hour.

You might be able to cobble together something yourself [ with a heater] that could do the job.  Or ask around for timber supplier nearby that has a drying kiln that would do the same thing.

• Like 1